AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum  
Old 01-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Club Racer
View woodguy32's Photo Album

Default New Oval in Cincinnati..

Hello.. Slot Car Guys..

Great Site..New guy.....Havent played with 1/24 slots in 40 years... lol... just built first routed 4 lane oval..crazy one like Luf's bullring.. and love east coast mods...

I build hot rod woodies as a biz along with my graphic arts..many of the hotrods I built made mag covers and street rod of the year awards..even Hot wheels made 4 versions of cars I built..

looking for new friends in the Cincinnati area who love oval racing...

The track was mainly just a test for the larger one I planning on building..kind of crazy for the first track build but wanted to try it...it was a blast to make and didnt take long a all.. still need to get the walls mounted and lighting and all the fun stuff..

it is a 4 lane that loops 3 times so you have a different groove each lap and really need to watch yourself on the crossings.. a challenge for sure.. makes the action interesting..

also wanted it to be portable so it can be taken to buddies shops for some hot rod benchracing..

the layout set up

gad.. 64 power taps...lol

looks like a copper tape track

cars in progress

maybe these old gilberts will get new homebrew chassis..for the kids to run.lol

still more to do on it.. but will be fun...Next up is a larger version.. of Islip speedway.. the track I grew up with..

thanks woodguy

Last edited by woodguy32; 01-30-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
International Racer
View ferrari1950's Photo Album

Saturday night features must be a blast! Well done and welcome to SCI!

Good day, eh!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 PM
International Racer
View oldslotracer's Photo Album

Nice job on that oval...we had lots of fun on ours
Like the woodies too
Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 PM
International Racer
View speedyspyder's Photo Album

that is awesome...
Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldslotracer View Post
Nice job on that oval...we had lots of fun on ours
Like the woodies too
Thanks Luf....where did yours go?.. do you think this will work on a bigger scale.

Never crossed my mind to make my own track and play with slots again after 40 years...lol after seeing your awesome work...

woodguy32
Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Championship Contender
View TransIssues's Photo Album

Cooooool Track!!

One question, how do the cars handle the crossings? Is there a change in traction or do the slots "upset" the cars?

Cheers!
Paul
Old 01-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransIssues View Post
Cooooool Track!!

One question, how do the cars handle the crossings? Is there a change in traction or do the slots "upset" the cars?

Cheers!
Paul
it runs super smooth in either direction...like all crossings tho there is a dead spot but the cars just coast on thru... no speed change..

my problem is traction... I am spinning sideways the whole track and running them just like sprint cars..lol and running on 6 volts ( track is still green and dust from the build) well that what this track was designed for..crazy hotlaps going sideways..perfect sprint car track

wood

Last edited by woodguy32; 01-27-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 PM
International Racer
View oldslotracer's Photo Album

One of our club members bought it for his son

It will work just fine in a bigger scale, but build a mirror image of it. You want the crossover where the cars are entering the corner, so they'll coast over the gaps and then get good power when you get back on the gas.
I built mine the same way and ended up running in the "wrong" direction...much smoother, but just didn't look right

I suggest you try urethane tires, they don't mind a dusty track. Hard to rubber in that track because you're mostly running on copper. I actually enjoyed the sliding...just a different tuning challenge.

Another fun thing was putting a timing sensor in one lane and just running one car. You gotta do 3 laps before you get a time, and each lap is slightly different...best with a few beer
Old 01-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldslotracer View Post
One of our club members bought it for his son

It will work just fine in a bigger scale, but build a mirror image of it. You want the crossover where the cars are entering the corner, so they'll coast over the gaps and then get good power when you get back on the gas.
I built mine the same way and ended up running in the "wrong" direction...much smoother, but just didn't look right

I suggest you try urethane tires, they don't mind a dusty track. Hard to rubber in that track because you're mostly running on copper. I actually enjoyed the sliding...just a different tuning challenge.

Another fun thing was putting a timing sensor in one lane and just running one car. You gotta do 3 laps before you get a time, and each lap is slightly different...best with a few beer
Funny thing is I really ready for the next track build....I can see why this can be addicting..lol

I can see why you built so many great tracks...normally I think about the next hotrod build...but now I thinking about making grooves... now look what you have done... haha

thank you Oldslotguy... beer racing.. hmmm got to try that
Old 01-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Championship Contender
View 60Ford's Photo Album

"Madhouse" is scale.............All you need is little racers pitching water bottles at each other after some bumping. Nice work. Looks cool. Had to trace the racing line on you pic just see how it works.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Championship Contender
View amd5150's Photo Album

looks neat, and nice cars in the back ground
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Club Racer

Having a blast with the new oval...Now I need to build some new Mods...

took it to my buddies shop for an open house party.. and a bunch of had a blast...most guys have run slots in 30 to 40 years..and quite few where oval racers themselves..it was good fun..

Then my 12 year old daughter and her friends race one night.. and they ran better then we did.. talking on cell phones even..hmm.. dangerous

the test track work well.. and getting ready for the new larger version of Islip Speedway .. with the figure 8 in the infield.... will be two separate tracks.. oval and 8

So I guess I be putting this one up for sale ( Perfect Sprint car track) so I can afford to build more cars and the new track..I want a fleet like Randy..lol

thanks wood

Hot Rod Wood

Old 09-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Pit Crew

Default very cool track

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy32 View Post
Hello.. Slot Car Guys..

Great Site..New guy.....Havent played with 1/24 slots in 40 years... lol... just built first routed 4 lane oval..crazy one like Luf's bullring.. and love east coast mods...

I build hot rod woodies as a biz along with my graphic arts..many of the hotrods I built made mag covers and street rod of the year awards..even Hot wheels made 4 versions of cars I built..

looking for new friends in the Cincinnati area who love oval racing...

The track was mainly just a test for the larger one I planning on building..kind of crazy for the first track build but wanted to try it...it was a blast to make and didnt take long a all.. still need to get the walls mounted and lighting and all the fun stuff..

it is a 4 lane that loops 3 times so you have a different groove each lap and really need to watch yourself on the crossings.. a challenge for sure.. makes the action interesting..

also wanted it to be portable so it can be taken to buddies shops for some hot rod benchracing..

the layout set up

gad.. 64 power taps...lol

looks like a copper tape track

cars in progress

maybe these old gilberts will get new homebrew chassis..for the kids to run.lol

still more to do on it.. but will be fun...Next up is a larger version..8'x22' of Islip speedway.. the track I grew up with..

thanks woodguy
Would like to see video of this track in action.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Club Racer

Running sprints on the bullring is a blast... use AC Lionel 125 watt and DC power that switches .. I really dig running the AC on this track..works awesome and more control..

It is up on wheels and can easily rolled around the shop.. and below is storage for one of my Early Quarter Midgets..

my second track will be a replica of Islip Speedway on Long Island.. one of the tracks I grew up with..an oval and figure 8..the kids love the 8.. haha.. got some old style bombers that go on a search and destroy mission..crazy as it may seem.. the hits are few..a lot of woah moments..

trhanks woodguy
Old 01-29-2011, 10:22 AM
International Racer
View HOguy_56's Photo Album

me like!