NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Club Racer
View bobotech's Photo Album

Default How do you restore rusty/corroded track?

I have a pile of Scalextric Sportrack that is quite corroded and even a few pieces have surface rust.

I can just sand them down using sandpaper and/or steel wool but that will ruin the look of the plastic itself.

Is there an easier way of restoring the track?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Championship Contender
View Pinto_Girl's Photo Album

I've used 4-ought steel wool, the really fine stuff, to bring the shine back to old Schwinn bicycle fenders. Wondering if the steel wool you're using is fine enough? Never tried it on slot car track, though.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Club Racer
View bobotech's Photo Album

I could try that. I think I have some 0000 in the basement.

I wonder if there is anything that I could do to the track to prevent it from happening again?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:30 AM
National Racer
View Aurora's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobotech View Post
Is there an easier way of restoring the track?
Whether these methods are easier I leave up to you:

1. Have a plating firm re-plate the rails. I would imagine that this would be quite expensive, perhaps more costly than replacing the damaged track with new track.

2. Overlay the rails with copper tape. Of course, this will not remediate the existing corrosion.

3. Remove the rails from the track, and refurbish them by hand. Loosen the steel tabs on the underside of the track. The rails will pop out of track. You can then clean both the outer and inner surfaces of the rails (I would not be surprised if the inner surfaces of your rails have corrosion, unseen from the outside). This will eliminate any chance of scratching the plastic. You will also obtain a superior repair. You might want to consider using a non-metallic "wool" material instead of steel wool, as this may reduce the amount of additional damage to the plating. Soak the rails in a corrosion inhibiting solution, wipe dry, and re-install. You will need to periodically apply a coating of the corrosion inhibiting solution to slow the advance of more corrosion (Rust Never Sleeps). This method works quite well, and the only cost is your time.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 AM
International Racer
View slot.itfan's Photo Album

Go find a model railroad shop and ask them for a track cleaner. Works great on Scaley track.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:19 AM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Once the plating is gone Scalextric track will corrode more quickly. Any method that you use to remove corrosion is going to be labour intensive and the corrosion will want to come back. Rail-Zip or a similar product from a hobby shop that does model trains is helpful and so is wiping the rails down with WD-40. People that switch to routed tracks are likely to sell off their plastic track cheap, so if it was me I would dump the corroded track and replace it with used track that is in good shape.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Championship Contender
View Racerdoug's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
Once the plating is gone Scalextric track will corrode more quickly. Any method that you use to remove corrosion is going to be labour intensive and the corrosion will want to come back. Rail-Zip or a similar product from a hobby shop that does model trains is helpful and so is wiping the rails down with WD-40. People that switch to routed tracks are likely to sell off their plastic track cheap, so if it was me I would dump the corroded track and replace it with used track that is in good shape.
Best advise right here-don't waste your time-the track will keep rusting and it will be more trouble than it's worth.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:27 PM
National Racer
View KiwiPete's Photo Album

I brought a 2nd hand sports track a few years back that someone had lightly sanded. The track is now set up in my basement that is damp during the winter. I have found WD40 to be very good and a quick wipe down removes any light surface rust. Provided I use the track weekly or give it a wipe down every month or 6 weeks I don't have any problems.
WD40 works far better than CRC.
I have also managed to restore badly marked plastic track with hard scrubbing with detergent and hard scrubbing brush and used wet & dry sanding paper on rails. Just need to treat them with WD40 regularly as any sanding removes the plated protection on the rails.
KiwiPete