NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Club Racer
View bobotech's Photo Album

Default Do people collect/run slotless track setups?

Just like the title says, is there much of a call for slotless stuff?

I don't do slotless but I was over at a guy's storage unit where he had several cases of slotless track and I was wondering do people play with them?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:52 PM
National Racer
View Rush2112's Photo Album

I've never had a slotless track but thought about getting one. Seems like it would be fun to be able to change lanes, pass and block.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Club Racer
View Trackmaster's Photo Album

I have a collection of the slotless cars actually.
I have the Ideal TCR format,( total control racing), the Tyco version and also the AFX version.

The good news is that the cars and track are cheap and plentiful, and are fun and reasonably easy to collect. Each brand only works on it's own track.

The bad news is that they don't run all that well, take a lot of fiddling to get going, and don't require a lot of skill to run. (my experience anyway ) Full throttle kind of thing, cars being flung to the outside of a corner as they make their way around. But they do change lanes as advertised on the straight sections.

When I have a few minutes to play with slot cars I tend to grab conventional HO or 1/32 cars that are ready to go, and avoid the stuff that needs to be worked on... hence the slotless stuff sits.

But if you enjoy the challenge, and have the time to devote, slotless may be just what you need!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 PM
International Racer
View carlosinseattle's Photo Album

Slotless is a lot of fun!! I have tons of slotless track and cars; Ultra-5, Speed Steer, Tyco Command Control, Tyco TCR, and Carrera Servo. I've had ideal TCR and didn't like it. Ideal did a good job of detail on their cars, certainly better that Tyco and a little better that AFX back then. The original Ideal version had a fatal flaw of reverse polarity causing one of the cars to return to the lane you just changed from. The best stuff to run is the Tyco TCR stuff. I still use a combination of command control track and Tyco TCR track (totally interchangeable, just different colors) so I have some curves with an inside lane and some without an inside lane. I modified a lot of my Speed Steer cars to run on Tyco TCR and that's fun. I use a large power supply and run 5 to 8 jam cars along with the guided cars. I also drive the semi trucks with trailers; it takes a lot of control to keep these on the track.

As one poster said it's a different experience from slotted racing, and very different from the speed freaks who race slot cars pretty seriously. To me slotless is like digital 132 racing, only smaller, and a bit more challenging. For those who say the cars are slow, they just don't know how to make them fast. With a little coaxing al the cars will be fast, and the best part of making a fast car is that it will coast and change lanes very easily. Slow cars have a hard time carrying enough mementum to complete a lane change; which is why some people comment that slotless doesn;t work.

The other types of slotless sets never worked all that well, so it's really hard to have any fun with Power Passers or Matchbox, or original Aurora Excelerators sets; I've owned all the slotless systems at some point in the past.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 PM
International Racer
View Bananasmoothie1975's Photo Album

^ I agree that with a little maintenance the Tyco TCR stuff is fun.

Running 2 jam cars and 2 racers leads to some pretty scary moments with passing, which is where the fun of this stuff is - don't worry about not slowing down much for corners, your concentration will be on avoiding a head on collision or cutting off your opponent hehe

When running alone, still fun with 1 jam, 1 racer and a couple of awkwardly placed traffic cones (come with most sets)
Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Championship Contender
View Jisp's Photo Album

I've never so much as laid eyes on one of these sets let alone one of the cars (excluding pictures via the computer). Would love to have a crack at it though! I can see why the cars would need a bit of momentum to carry across the tracks.

Bananabloke, are parts readily available in Aus? Sounds like you talk from experience.....
Old 06-29-2010, 01:09 PM
International Racer
View ScooterMcCoy's Photo Album

Just came across this: Google Slot Car Central and go to the first link, click on Guides under More Info on the left and there's an article called Advanced TCR in there that looks like it has a ton of good technical information. Really interesting site anyway.

Scott
Old 07-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Pit Crew

Hello everybody,

My name is Alex. This is my first post but I have been reading this forum for a long time. The breadth and depth of experience in this forum is amazing. I keep on learning every time I come.

I'm French and I live in France where HO slot racing is almost nonexistent nowadays. Until the 90's it was still possible to find Aurora, Tomy and Tyco cars and I've built a sizable collection (including rarities such as the black Monza or the Williams Bata Din), but since then, I've only been able to buy cars from eBay and at slot car shows in Germany. The revival of AFX with Racemasters and the re-introduction of TJets and Magnatractions with JL and AW are totally missed here and it is a shame.

I have built a few tracks over the years (nothing as fancy as some of the members of this forum), but I will still post a few pictures in the future.

Anyway, this discussion about slotless cars has made me want to dig out my old Speedsteer track and build a nice layout. Before doing so, I'd like to get some advice from the slotless experts. In particular:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle View Post
I use a large power supply and run 5 to 8 jam cars along with the guided cars.
Could you tell us more about your power supply? Volts? Amps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle View Post
With a little coaxing al the cars will be fast,
Any tips and tricks that you could share with us?

Thanks !
Alex
Old 07-03-2010, 08:38 AM
International Racer
View Bananasmoothie1975's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jisp View Post
I've never so much as laid eyes on one of these sets let alone one of the cars (excluding pictures via the computer). Would love to have a crack at it though! I can see why the cars would need a bit of momentum to carry across the tracks.

Bananabloke, are parts readily available in Aus? Sounds like you talk from experience.....
Parts are available in Oz, thanks to US supplies on ePay

I've got enough NOS chassis to keep me going forever, the track and sets come up fairly often and cheapish too (except for postage..)

I'd go for the Tyco version, not as old, more abundant.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Championship Contender
View Jisp's Photo Album

Thanks for the info Banana, I'll keep an eye out.

Glad to hear the stuff is cheapish, it would want to be........my wife just went to buy a new laptop and came home with a new laptop, new tv and new phone. How does that work???

Cheers mate