NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum  
Old 01-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Novice Racer

Default Afx crossover tracks

Hi, I purchased a giant raceway for my kids for xmas and they do not like the crossover tracks.So I purchased two 9" straight track sections to replace the crossovers and now we have no power on one lane at a certain area and no power on the other lane at a different area of the track.I purchased the sections used ,however they seem perfect with no flaws.Can someone please advise me as to how to make this work,or what is wrong.When I put the crossovers back into place everything works fine.Thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 05:10 PM
International Racer
View Rolls's Photo Album

1st thing to do is to double check that each rail at the end of the 9" straight (and at the track it meets up with) is clean and shiny - polish or sand it lightly. Then make sure the z-shaped part of the rails is bent out enough to engage thoroughly with it's counterpart.

That'll do it almost every time, but if there's still a problem, post back and there are more diagnostic things you can try.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Novice Racer

I will try a little sand paper on the contacts,the Z piece I already made sure was making good contact,I even pryed it out a little.Ill post back with my results.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Novice Racer

I cleaned all the contacts even though they looked fine.I still have the problem,I feel it has something to do with the power crossing the two lanes with the crossover tracks.And with the straight track there is no power crossing lanes.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:08 AM
International Racer
View Earthbound's Photo Album

Due to the way the crossover tracks are "wired" they might be hiding a bad connection elsewhere on the track. When you remove them and put in the straight pieces, the problem shows up because the crossovers are no longer fixing it. Check the joints/connections at the ends of the dead spots.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Novice Racer

This is crazy. I try the cars with the straight tracks in place and the car in lane 1 goes around and stops at a certaian spot I then pick up the controller for lane two and the car continues on. The car never changed lanes. Im lost here.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:48 PM
International Racer

Do you have more than one terminal section in the layout? Any other "special" sections like lap counters? Is this set up on the floor/carpet or table?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Novice Racer

It is the AFX Giant Raceway set up. It has a lap counter and it also has a squezze section. It is set up on a 4'x8' piece of 3/4" Plywood. It is very sturdy and ontop of saw horses.There is only 1 power track and 1 power supply. Its exactly like it came out of the box. It works perfect until I try to replace the crossover tracks with straight tracks.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Novice Racer

I can leave the crossovers in the set up,but we have alot of crashes at that point (hard on the cars)And now Im stumped and want to know why it will not work.It seems very fundamental but its not...?!!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:29 PM
International Racer
View HOguy_56's Photo Album

Sounds like it could be a bad terminal? I don't know how both controllers can possibly control both lanes, unless either the terminal itself is screwy, or you accidentally took out only one X-over and left the other in. That would allow both lanes to run off of either controller, as the track would turn into 1 big lane. I have attatched a picture that illustrates what I am talking about. I am sure that is not your problem, it sounds like you replaced both, and are smart enought to know that a single crossover causes the track to be one big lane. That still doesn't explain why the car would die, then work on the other controller, unless there happen to be breaks in just the right position on the track. Sounds weird. Time to call the Ghostbusters maybe?? But seriously, it does sound like there is an electrical gremlin somewhere, but just where is not apparent.
Attached Images
File Type: png single xover.png (3.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 01-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Novice Racer

You are correct I replaced both crossovers with straight tracks.And my problems are listed above.The only thing is that I have switched positions of the straight track sections and the dead spot remains the same even after several trys its dead in the same place.I checked all the track connections and they look fine throughout the layout.When I put the crossovers back into place the track works flawlessly. I would have thought that replacing both crossovers would be simple,I guess not.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:40 PM
International Racer

Without knowing what the terminal section looks like, this is only a guess. Is it possible you have the power supply or controller plugged in to the wrong position on the terminal section?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Novice Racer

I moved the plugs into the different spots with the same results.Its the factory AFX power track.The power is plugged into the center and the lane controllers on either side of the power plug.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
International Racer
View HOguy_56's Photo Album

do you have another terminal? If so, replace the terminal and see if it helps. If not, consider buying another terminal track, or seeing if you can borrow one from somewhere. You may want to contact AFX with your problem. They may be able to help. It is kind of hard to plug the power pack or controller into the wrong terminal, as the plugs are of different sizes. And even if you managed to do it, the symtoms would not be the same ones that bumpytruck is experiencing. This has to be the strangest problem I have ever heard of. Maybe you should also try changing the layout to a different configuration, and see if the problem persists.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:20 PM
International Racer

Is it the style with four connection points? Two in the middle for power (so you can add a second power supply) and the controllers plug in the outer positions?