MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum  
Old 05-12-2011, 06:37 PM
National Racer
View GreatGobo's Photo Album

Default Idea for Track - 13 x 4

I don't want to make a monster track, but I'm thinking of this. Comments? According to Ultimate Racer this would give me about 29ft of track.

Let me know
GG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3x13 scaley v4.jpg (28.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Championship Contender
View thatguy01's Photo Album

That would be a fun track to drive, though I don't like racing with intersections and crossovers.

The only alternative I would worry about is whether I want a full length straight. But I think that would require removing some of the nice subtle curves.

Are you trying to use a particular inventory of parts on hand?

Last edited by thatguy01; 05-12-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM
National Champion
View svanaken's Photo Album

Unless you are running by yourself, get rid of the cross-over as their only purpose is to break cars when they crash into each other. It isn't a requirement to have a loop or equal lane lengths. Most folks will swap lanes halfway through the event so it all equals out in the end.

Scott
Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Championship Contender

This is 16x4. You could truncate it to 13 feet, and make the straight straight all the way. But I don't know that it would actually be more fun to race than your original design.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:28 AM
National Racer

Talking

I'm trying to use up the track from the Scalextric Extreme GT set. There are some extra track piece that I will have to buy. The area is actually closer to 3ft by 13ft.

As for the crossovers, I'm not that nuts about them either. But seeing as this is more likely to be a 'one lane' track most of the time they shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm also not convinced with the loop either, but without it, the track would be kinda boring. Especially for such a narrow space. I'd prefer to have the track flat as I could build an HO track on a separate board with the same footprint and lay it over the 1/32 track.

@thatguy01 - I'll try to re-jig that track to fit into the space I want.

The one thing I wanted to add was what is the average length for home tracks like this? I've been spoiled by having my first slot car experience driving/racing on a large wood track. (At a super great awesome facility that everyone should check out Race Haven Hobbies and make sure you spend LOTS of money there.)

Do I get a discount now Ron?

Last edited by GreatGobo; 05-13-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Championship Contender
View keysandslots's Photo Album

Why not do a wood track? Two lanes (or even one lane) would fit nicely in that space and it would not be difficult or particularly expensive. You would need to buy a power supply and controllers but those will last you for a long time.

I'm assuming you're somewhere near Toronto if you've been racing at Race Haven?

Randy
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Digital Advocate
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

You can make it interesting but flat. Full straight on the back, and then interesting curves on the way back along the front.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Championship Contender
View DrumPhil's Photo Album

Default Re: long straight

Long straights are great, but it can also be fun to have a straight with just a small bend in it. Then the challenge is to see if you can take the bend flat out or, if not, just how little you have to lift to make the curve while keeping your speed. Like the others have said, it's a good idea to remove the intersection. But if you turn it into an overpass, maybe you could move the bend (center bottom of layout) a little to the left and make it gentler (by using outer-outer curves), so it almost becomes a straight. Just a thought...

An overpass doesn't have to be very tall -- about 4 inches. You could place some pillars around your layout so the HO board could sit on top of them, thus allowing you a little bit of elevation change in your 1/32 track. Even a little up and down really does increase the interest level of the driving experience.

Have fun with it.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 PM
National Racer

I just realized something. That is an overpass not an intersection. I thought you mean the crossovers on the curves.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Championship Contender

Unless you have a preference for the cars in the Extreme GT set, I would start with the American Champions T2 (Mustang Camaro) set.

This uses the Extreme GT set plus 2 pieces (one pack) of C8204 R3 curves and 4 pieces (two packs) of C8235 R4 curves. If you want to make it as shown without using the two crossover curves from the set, you also need 4 more pieces (two packs) of the regular C8206 R2 curves that come in the set. The green area is 3x13.

I assume that the set comes with two pieces of C8295 overpass track (for top and bottom). I'm using them in this layout as flat track pieces because they're the right length.
Attached Images
File Type: gif scaly.gif (18.5 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by thatguy01; 05-13-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 PM
National Racer

Thatguy01 - I'll give that track a try. I'm giving preference to the Extreme GT because it's already been purchased.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:32 PM
National Racer
View Dubltap25's Photo Album

I was just skulking around tonight and noticed your name. Is that a mid eighties fraggle rock reference, excellent if it is, I just got through making my kids watch all the episodes on Net Flix. If not oh, well I let my inner geek out again. That last layout from Thatguy looks good for 3 feet wide. Have fun.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 AM
National Racer

Nope, not a Fraggle Rock reference, but now that you mention it sounds vaguely familiar. To be honest not sure how I came up with this handle. I used it while playing this online flash strategy game called "Jelly Battle". It could of also come from my Games Workshop hobby where the goblins are sometimes called Gobo's.

Cheers
GG