SCI Logo

Scalextric USA
Pioneer Slot Cars
SCIs  MarketPlace, the online slot car mall
Carrera Slot Cars
Fly Model Car
BRM Model Cars
NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum  
  #1  
Old 07-05-2011, 09:29 AM
ianieto ianieto is offline
Novice Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Default Cleaning Track with Rail Zip

I want to clean and protect my Tomy AFX slot car track. I might have made a mistake a few days ago in cleaning the track and rails with dish detergent. The intention was to clean off dust and oil from the track but did I remove oils from the rails that would protect them from rust? The cars do run well, at least now.

I have heard that Rail Zip that is used for train track is also good for slot car track. I figure this would be good to apply as soon as possible to the rails to prevent rust/oxidation. But I have not read a good explanation on how to do it, especially on large tracks. I have over 150 feet of Tomy AFX track, 50 feet of Aurora AFX track and 25 feet of Life-Like track I want to treat. It would be nice if there was a way to just drive something around each lane but I have not seen anything sold commercially recently. MANY years ago I recall a track cleaner truck from Auto World that you would drive around. I also saw a youtube video of someone that must have made their own driveable cleaner. But if someone cannot point me to one of those solutions I can purchase, do I just get a small sponge and lightly apply Rail Zip to all the rails? Do I let stand overnight and then wipe off or do I leave it on? If I apply Rail Zip and then put away the track, is this ok? I really would like a complete procedure explanation if anyone has done this successfully. (BTW, I read that ATF might work on cleaning the rails. I tried that overnight with a few test tracks and could not see any difference in removing oxidation.)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Kiwi_AFXer's Avatar
Kiwi_AFXer Kiwi_AFXer is offline
Novice Racer
View Kiwi_AFXer's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
Posts: 48
Default

We use a degreaser to clean the plastic track and CRC 2.26 for the rail contact. Just spray the degreaser on to a cloth and wipe round the track. Once that is done use the CRC in the same way. CRC 2.26 is plastic safe & creates good a contact between track joins and prevents oxidisation.
For more info check out this link it will tell you all about it.

http://www.goindustrial.co.nz/c/Crc-...NZ-Ltd-n848783

We have found that you still need to degrease the track every few weeks as the build up of crap is too much for the CRC to clean off. Once racing is finished for the night we give the track a quick wipe over with CRC and it is all good to go the following week.

Hope this helps

Bill

Go Hard or Go Home
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Dwights55's Avatar
Dwights55 Dwights55 is offline
Novice Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 24
Default

Ive always used good ol WD-40 to clean the whole track. My track is going on 7 years old and it still looks good......JMO.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 PM
slotking slotking is offline
Top Qualifier
View slotking's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, ny
Posts: 4,783
Default

the detergent can leave a film

1> clean with something that will remove the detergent ie.. alcohol or the CRC as mentioned.
2> let dry
3>wd-40, spray a cloth or like me spray the track
wipe it once
wait 24hrs
4> wipe it down again a couple of times

rail zip, i put a drop on every track connection and let set once or twice a year
for the rail top, a rag wrapped around a block with the rail over the rails
if the track is used enough the cars will keep it clean
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 PM
ianieto ianieto is offline
Novice Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwights55 View Post
Ive always used good ol WD-40 to clean the whole track. My track is going on 7 years old and it still looks good......JMO.
I thought I read somewhere that WD-40 is not nice to plastic over time. Sounds like that is not your experience. How often do you use it? How do you apply it?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 AM
cryer-evo cryer-evo is offline
National Racer
View cryer-evo's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: bristol uk
Posts: 269
Default

first off i get some 1500 grade sandpaper and lightly give the rails a sand and then run a old mag car around to pick up any small bits of metal from sanding and then wipe off with wd40 it works for me
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2011, 09:23 PM
stinkatgolf stinkatgolf is offline
Club Racer
View stinkatgolf's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 57
Default

Will spraying contact cleaner on the rails work ?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 PM
slotking slotking is offline
Top Qualifier
View slotking's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, ny
Posts: 4,783
Default

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that WD-40 is not nice to plastic over time. Sounds like that is not your experience. How often do you use it? How do you apply it?
I have seen where it is used very often (daily or weekly)that the track(TOMY) will not become clean (black residue from the track itself) this is over a period of 10years

I used it 4 to 6 times a year.
it seem to keep the track in good condition
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2011, 11:54 AM
ianieto ianieto is offline
Novice Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_AFXer View Post
We use a degreaser to clean the plastic track and CRC 2.26 for the rail contact. Just spray the degreaser on to a cloth and wipe round the track. Once that is done use the CRC in the same way. CRC 2.26 is plastic safe & creates good a contact between track joins and prevents oxidisation.
For more info check out this link it will tell you all about it.

http://www.goindustrial.co.nz/c/Crc-...NZ-Ltd-n848783

We have found that you still need to degrease the track every few weeks as the build up of crap is too much for the CRC to clean off. Once racing is finished for the night we give the track a quick wipe over with CRC and it is all good to go the following week.

Hope this helps

Bill

Go Hard or Go Home

If I use CRC on my home track, I would think the build-up from use should be ok for CRC to handle, right? Where can I purchase CRC? Also, does alcohol remove Rail-Zip or CRC? i.e. do I always need to re-apply Rail-Zip or CRC AFTER cleaning the track with alcohol?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2011, 02:09 PM
slotking slotking is offline
Top Qualifier
View slotking's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, ny
Posts: 4,783
Default

I just go to any auto store and buy the crc brake cleaner (safe on plastics kind)
I use to clean my chassis and brush systems
on t-jets after i ultra sound them, I use the crc to displace the water and dry the chassis fast

never used it on tracks, cause my method works well
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-16-2011, 04:24 PM
ianieto ianieto is offline
Novice Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotking View Post
I just go to any auto store and buy the crc brake cleaner (safe on plastics kind)
I use to clean my chassis and brush systems
on t-jets after i ultra sound them, I use the crc to displace the water and dry the chassis fast

never used it on tracks, cause my method works well

Interesting. So the crc brake cleaner has the same anti corrosion protection properties and improves electrical contacts? I want more than just a cleaner for the track.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-16-2011, 04:29 PM
ohioroyce ohioroyce is offline
National Racer
View ohioroyce's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Right here
Posts: 234
Default

Years ago I did use something like Rail Zip to clean the track I had at the time. I don't remember what it was, but it was for train sets. It came in a plastic bottle with a lid that had a long stem on it that reached into the bottle and had a round sponge like ball on the end of it that soaked up the cleaning fluid so you could wipe in on the track with that ball. The fluid had a kind of pinkish color tint to it. That stuff worked great to clean the track and the rail. I got it at a hobby shop somewhere back then.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2011, 06:47 PM
ianieto ianieto is offline
Novice Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroyce View Post
Years ago I did use something like Rail Zip to clean the track I had at the time. I don't remember what it was, but it was for train sets. It came in a plastic bottle with a lid that had a long stem on it that reached into the bottle and had a round sponge like ball on the end of it that soaked up the cleaning fluid so you could wipe in on the track with that ball. The fluid had a kind of pinkish color tint to it. That stuff worked great to clean the track and the rail. I got it at a hobby shop somewhere back then.
Sounds like it could have been Rail-Zip. Today it does not have a sponge ball applicator of course. It would be useful for applying on train track rails but not on slot car track. I wonder for those out there that have applied Rail-Zip, what method is used to apply to the thin slot car track power rails without wastefully applying it to the slot car track bed. Also, will wiping off the excess the following day reduce the effectiveness of what is left behind on the rails to protect from future oxidation and corrosion? I do understand applying CRC would be easier because it can be applied to the entire track and not just the rails (Rail-Zip is too expensive to apply to more than the rails) but I would like to also know the best way to apply Rail-Zip.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-17-2011, 10:19 AM
slotking slotking is offline
Top Qualifier
View slotking's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, ny
Posts: 4,783
Default

to me CRC is just for cleaning, not protecting

for just applying anything to the rails, I would wrap a cloth around a wood block identify the rail travel area and put the chemical there.

I only applied rail zip to 100% of my rails once, cause once on the sides it stays, only the top get any action, and as long as you race on the track it stays clean. or you can use a eraser, quarter, car etc.. to clean the top of rails.

I used rail zip once a year on the rail joints, just a drop to soak down into the joint.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Bananasmoothie1975 Bananasmoothie1975 is offline
International Racer
View Bananasmoothie1975's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 763
Default

CRC 2.26 is an oxide remover/inhibitor, bit different from the usual red can stuff.
I clean my track with Windex, then apply some CRC 2.26 to my pickup shoes and run a couple of laps, does the trick nicely

Have also read good reports about INOX having the same effect.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   

Tags
track cleaning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.