MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Top Qualifier
View Quickcars's Photo Album

Default Avant Classic Lemans

Maybe I missed it but I haven't read any reviews or statements regarding Avants release of some classic Lemans cars. The Gulf Mirage looks awesome and the STP Porsche is a winner in my book as well.

I would imagine these will be direct competitors for some slot.it releases and make for some very lively club racing.

So, what's the word on these releases? Can we expect a thorough review soon?

QC
Old 11-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Top Qualifier

Default LeMans

Seriously? No one is the least bit interested in Avant's foray into the classic Lemans field once owned by Fly and now dominated by Slot.it and the upstart NSR? I thought for sure that guys would be super interested in these given the popularity of Avants LMPs.

I guess, I guessed wrong

Oh well, my Gulf Mirage is on the way from across the pond and I can't wait to run it against my 312 and sloter Lola...

QC
Old 11-18-2011, 03:03 PM
International Racer
View low tech's Photo Album

Fly has not covered cars from these years yet.... VanquishMG did do a Mirage but their scale was much larger than 1/32.

As far as a very specific review about the car, with pictures and commentary, that is against the bylaws. Only SCI can authorize an official review.

I have the Porsche Kremer 8. And the car is awesome on Ninco track. It comes with the orange hurricane motor, two magnets, and an anglewinder setup. It lacks a suspension system that can be added on. We have not raced this car yet so I do not know what all the quirks are yet.

And as far as racing eras go, the group I race with generally tries to keep the correct models of cars racing against each other, so I do not see an overlap with any other manufacturer right now with these particular cars. In preformance they are right there with Slot It, NSR and Scaleauto.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Top Qualifier

Default Classic

Fly has made so many classic Lemans cars I won't even bother trying to list them. I didn't say anything about them specifically making a Mirage.

As far as reviews, official or not, I've read lot of reviews of cars by members of this board. I can only assume now that they weren't official. The information contained therein was nevertheless helpful and enlightening.

Going back to the Mirage, didn't it race against Ferrari 312s(Slot.it, Sloter), Alfa's (Slot.it) and maybe even Chevrons (Fly)?

QC
Old 11-18-2011, 03:54 PM
International Racer
View low tech's Photo Album

It probably did at least a little.

In 1975 Le Mans the Ford Mirage raced against
Ford Mirage (finished 1st and 3rd)
Ligier JS2 (<== finished 2nd)
Porsche 908/3 (<== this one is the joest team, finished 4th)
Porsche 908/2
Porsche 911 carrera rsr
Porsche 911 carrara rs
Ferrari 364 GTB/4
De Cadenet-Lola T38
De Tomaso Pantera
Moynet LM75
Porsche 911s
Lola T292
Lola T294
Datsun 240z
Lola T284
March 75S
BMW 2002Ti
Mazda RX3
BMW 3.0CSL
Renault-Alpine A441
Sigma MC75
Ford Capri RS
Tecma 755
Chevrolet Corvette

This was a race with some strigent fuel consumption rules. And an odd lot of cars, some old, some new.

I find it a little odd that Avant Slot released two different models (Ford Mirage and Porsche Kremer 8) that are about 20 years apart. They may have the same chassis but I am not sure about this, since I do not have a Mirage.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Top Qualifier

Default Avant Mirage

Should have mine today or tomorrow. I'll be sure to do an "unofficial" review.

Paul
Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 AM
International Racer
View DE38's Photo Album

Id be very interested in seeing some closeup shots of the chassis (body off) if at all possible.
Ive been eyeing these myself and would like to know how they run.

Thanks
DE38
Old 11-21-2011, 01:10 PM
World Champion
View dr vanski's Photo Album

I have two of the Mirages. OTB they have three traction magnets so will most likely work fine on plastic track. Generally, they are ok but do need work if you are running non-magnet. I had issues with both cars where the heads of the set screws were all stripped. Not sure if it was my driver or the screws so I ended up replacing both. On cars of Spanish manufacture (i.e. Spirit) I generally throw away any set screws included with the car as they tend to be junk and replace them with quality set screws from either Slot.it or Slot Car Corner Canada. On one of my cars one of the traction magnets was broken. Also, the bushings for the rear axle are made out of a very soft material that ended up warping when I mounted the rear axle on my tire truing machine. This resulted in lots of play between the rear axle and the bushing. Lots of tuning potential in the Mirage chassis as it is very adjustable. The body is ok - very light and good paint finish and tampo - but could use a bit more love in terms of painting the driver. Three and a half stars out of five on this one. Passing grade, but could be better for the price. Definitely not a Slot.it, Sideways, or NSR but then again the only game in town when it comes this particular Mirage.

Last edited by dr vanski; 11-21-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM
World Champion

Some photos for those wondering what the GR8 looks like:

Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Top Qualifier

Default Mirage

Thanks for the "review" Doc! I'm a bit disappointed because I had hoped that it would be the equal of my Sloter Lola and slot.it 312.

Is it not up to the task because of handling issues, stock tires or what? Just curious because I figured with the light body and punchy motor it would be on equal footing if not superior to the others.

ps Thanks for the great pictures.

QC
Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 AM
World Champion

I think with a bit of work this car can be right there with the Slot.it Alfa 33/3 or Ferrari 312. The motor is a monster and the chassis is an improvement over what is found in the Avant Slot modern LM cars. Lots of adjustments for the motor pod and front wheels. The letdown for me was running this car OTB and the crown and rear wheels coming loose - and then trying to tighten the set screws and having the heads strip. Make sure you have spare grub screws on hand and a quality hex driver and you be able to get this car sorted without too much effort. I will eventually replace the rear bushings on the two examples I own. I have been busy tuning club racers so I haven't been able to invest the time needed to get my GR8s running properly. You probably won't be disappointed but be ready to do some work.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 AM
National Champion
View PeteN95's Photo Album

The Mirage is my fastest non-mag car!? I believe this is due to the massive amount of magnetic downforce (~50gms!) from the motor and low ride height with the optional rear tires.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Top Qualifier

Default Mirage

Dangit! My car is taking forever to cross the pond. I wanted to have it for the weekend but it's not looking good. I'm anxious to give her a spin. I had the new Slot.it Gulf GT40 blazing up my routed track last night. They seem to have figured out how to supply decent stock tires.

As for the Mirage, it will also have serious competition from my Sloter Lola. **** that thing is fast and I didn't do anything to it!

Paul
Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 PM
National Racer
View Manimmal's Photo Album

I've got the stp kremer car and it's a rocket. i fitted some aluminium 16x10 rims and rubber tyres to suit (not avant parts, but with no avant distributor in Australia it becomes difficult and expensive to keep to the brand in question). the motor and bearings were glued in, and in my case i taped the pod to reduce the hop that started to occur when the grip level increased. the body is running very loose at the rear, and almost tight at front.
For comparison it runs at a simular pace to a standard nsr mosler in sidewinder 25k form. It took me weeks to figure out the right set up for this car, but the time and effort have left me with a car that seldom sees a week without track use.
My one criticism is the readiness of the wing to part company with the car. at one point i was having issue with the nose lifting on acceleration, which led to the car being rear ended at relatively low speed, goodbye wing. I used heat to reattach it only to do exactly the same thing, being hit by the same car! super glue and it has come off twice since, but in one case i went in backwards at around 20kmp/h which would damage most cars.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:30 PM
National Racer
View Hobbit840's Photo Album

I would second the request for pictures of the chassis with the body off. I am also wondering if anyone can say what the body weight is compared to a slot it body?

hobbit