AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Club Racer
View bsmooth's Photo Album

Default Tire Truers

Guys,
Im looking to buy a tire truer and need some advice. Im getting one mainly to cut down 1/24 commercial type foam tires, but will be using it also for my 1/32 (home track) rubber tire cars.

I'm considering the Hudy, but I see there is no variable speed. I've read this could be a problem with the softer rubber compounds out there (NSR, Slot It, etc.).

It would also be nice to do a pair at a time.

Has anyone used the Scaleauto truer? Looks nice, priced a little higher, and has variable speed adjustment.

I'm partial to Hudy from my experience with their other truers (1/8 on road rc), and their comm lathe. I have not seen another product that equals the precision, and overall fit and finish.

I'm not looking at the least expensive, and will gladly invest in something that 'works'.

Thanks for any help.

-Steve
Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

With any tire truer you can vary the speed by varying the voltage. In order to do that you need a variable power supply. I have a Hudy that is made for slot car rubber, silicone and urethane tires, it would not normally be ued for foam tires. In any case I run it with a Pyramid power supply.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Championship Contender
View Busterfla's Photo Album

I recommend the TIRE RAZOR. Look farther down the forum list under Manufacturer Direct section for plenty of discussion and info. You can contact Jon directly there and place an order. Well worth the money.

Buster
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 PM
National Racer
View dreinecke's Photo Album

I also recommend the TIRE RAZOR! Great tool and great service!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 PM
National Racer
View ListerStorm's Photo Album

Yep TIRE RAZOR is the way to go!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Championship Contender
View munter's Photo Album

Stick with your Hudy idea and get a variable power supply.
I use five volts for 1/24 foam tires and also for 1/32 urethane and rubber tires.

The Hudy is quite a versatile unit but I try not to put any silicone tires against the drum any more. I would like to hear more about Rich D's Hudy...I can only imagine it has been fitted with the diamond drum. Posibbly a worthwhile upgrade but after five years of use my Hudy is still on its original drum.

The ScaleAuto truer I saw close up looked slick but the sanding drum looked dodgy. There was a nasty slightly raised seam running diagonally around the drum. It was not consistent like the Hudy.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Championship Contender
View Al's slotracing's Photo Album

A Hudy trues tyres one at a time. Perfect if you use set screw wheels. If that what you use, IMHO you can do no better than a Hudy (& variable power supply).

You need a different type of truer if you want to true the tyres without taking the wheels off the axle.
Many home set type cars use wheels that cannot readily be removed and replaced on the axle.
Truers like Tire Razor, Area 3 etc are designed to true tyres on the axle, so are a good choice for non-removable wheels. They can also be used with set screw wheels, but are not as good as a Hudy for those sort of wheels.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 AM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Silicone tires , especially Supertires are difficult to true. One of the guys in my club got a diamond drum for his Hudy, but it did not work much better than the standard drum. I run my Hudy at 10 volts when I do Supertires. I adjust the pressure so that the amp meter on my power supply reads 2 amps. I have moved the pulleys around so that I can move the tire back and forth as it is being ground. That avoids getting grooves in the tires. The tires get hot very quickly, I only grind them for about 30 seconds at a time. Squirting water on them is helpful because it helps to keep the drum from clogging and keeps the tires cool, however that does make a mess. Once the drum gets clogged it has to be cleaned. I use a gum rubber cleaner from my local hardware store.
If you use the Hudy a lot with silicone tires the drum will have to replaced eventually.
Once in a while I true rubber tires, that is MUCH easier!

Last edited by RichD; 11-25-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:15 AM
International Racer
View slot.itfan's Photo Album

3RD vote for the Razor.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Top Qualifier
View rixvette's Photo Album

I have the Tire Razor and the Hudy. I prefer the Tire Razor because I can take the entire axle from the Razor after the tires are done an go right to the balancer; no need to disassemble anything. I also have a variable voltage power supply so I don't shred the urathanes.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 AM
International Racer
View Porsche911's Photo Album

I have one of the first generation Razors and although very well crafted, and useful, the machining on my Razor where the bushings go (a 'v-type notch) were 'off' slightly, I'll use the term 'CH', and hence the wheels do NOT meet the sanding pad equally/evenly...basically need to do 1 wheel at a time and then need to use a caliper to determine if both the same, or relatively close. A good friend usually does my tires on his Hudy, with much better results. That said, perhaps the newer versions are better.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Championship Contender
View JDR's Photo Album

Al, why would the Tire Razor, etc, not true a set screw wheel as well as the Hudy? (I assume you are referring to truing one wheel at a time.)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 AM
SCI Administrator
View Scaleracing's Photo Album

Default Scaleauto Tire Machine works well here.

Every tire machine I have ever used did the job. All have good features not always shared with each other.

The Tire Razor is a great product, as is the Area 3 and many of you have owned or currently own a Hudy, a very good machine.

The Scaleauto tire machine, as it is not just a truer, is also a very competent tool.

Unlike some of the others it is not designed to do complete axles so if that is important to you choose those types of truer.

However if you want to true 2 tires at a time, set camber into a tire, make your own sponge tires, run a tire machine without an adjustable Power Supply then you should look at the Scaleauto Truer.

With angle adjustment so you can grind camber into set up wheels and tires ( one at a time ) a full width barrel so you can do 2 tires at once. Ball bearing all round, adjustable speed control, in built vacuum attachment for dust extraction. Accurate size setting tools, and a dust shield build in I feel the Scaleauto Tire Machine is certain worth a long hard look.

Yes I Import and Distribute this machine, and I would not if I did not think it was worth the price. Deserves a look and a mention here.

www.scaleracing.com

Alan
Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 AM
International Racer
View Geezer's Photo Album

I have an Area 3 which is very much like the Razor and am quite happy with it.

Does both wheels at once and is very precice. Used with a variable power supply it is a viable option.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Championship Contender
View scrjon's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
I have one of the first generation Razors and although very well crafted, and useful, the machining on my Razor where the bushings go (a 'v-type notch) were 'off' slightly, I'll use the term 'CH', and hence the wheels do NOT meet the sanding pad equally/evenly...basically need to do 1 wheel at a time and then need to use a caliper to determine if both the same, or relatively close. A good friend usually does my tires on his Hudy, with much better results. That said, perhaps the newer versions are better.

If you ever have problems please contact me, I am here everyday.
this can be fixed in seconds or if you wish send it in for a refit
sorry you are unhappy with your Razor but we will make it right
Jon