MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Club Racer
View shadowracer's Photo Album

Default "Post Aurora" Tjet questions

Much has been written about Tjets etc, and I even see a thread below comparing the ohm levels of the various armatures that have been put out. But I'm unable to find what I actually need to know.

I'm just getting back into the hobby, in a sense, and have been working mainly with AW Xtraction cars. Now I'm turning my attention to Tjets.

I have a small handful of tjets from the initial release when Johnny Lightning put them out. I tuned them as best I could and actually got a couple that ran quite well. (I remember they were all horrible straight out of the box)

Anyway, I know they came out with the one with a traction magnet. What I want to know is this: Is it just the same old Tuff Ones chassis, except with a traction magnet added, or did they change other stuff too? If you remove the magnet, will they run with other post-Aurora tjets?

What is the evolution of the JL//R2/AW Tjet in particular?

Also, the Tuff Ones chassis is just a regular Tjet with fat back tires and independent fronts, right? Assuming I put original style skinny tires on it, original style (meant for NOS Aurora) bodies should fit? I'd hate to put out an order for bodies just to find they don't fit properly on an AW tjet.

Any opinions on the matter?

Trev
Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM
National Racer
View BIG E's Photo Album

Default Original Aurora & AW/JL T-Jet Questions

Let's see if I can help you out quickly here,...
The AW/JL cars are completely new, and have nothing to do w/Aurora chassis other than being a reproduction of it.
Aurora "Tuff Ones" had silver plated chassis and electrical parts, a lower ohm (faster) armature, a higher gear ratio and stronger magnets, besides the wheels and tires being new.
Only the newer AW chassis have the traction magnet added, and if you'd like to have a more genuine T-Jet racer, just pop it out. Slip on silicone tires are your best bet towards driveability and having fun with these cars.
Don't worry too much about body interchangeability, as most will fit each other with just a few small adjustments to the mounting holes in the chassis, usually on the rear one.
Others have expanded on this here, so I'm not going to try and repeat everyone's ideas and opinions. Leave it to say that you will be able to take advantage of others in this forum with may years of experience in the hobby, and I, along with them wish you well as you rejoin the hobby.

Hope this quick note helps you out, and welcome back to the pancake races! Enjoy... Ernie
Old 11-18-2012, 10:21 AM
National Champion
View NicoRosberg.'s Photo Album

I'd wait until the D-Jet is out, and has been so a while, before getting into TJs, save yourself a lot of pain
Old 11-18-2012, 10:42 AM
National Racer
View BIG E's Photo Album

Default D-Jet ?

OK, I'm usually on top of these things, but I've not heard one word of this stateside. Can you please expand on this?

Thanks... Ernie
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 AM
National Champion

Copy of the T-Jet from Dash, it's back on.

I'm surmising if you run those, and only those, once the bugs have been ironed out - you will have an edifying time with the TJ platform.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 AM
National Racer
View BIG E's Photo Album

Default D-Jet

Ahh... those. Yes, I have heard of them from a friend of mine who is a dealer in some of the new aftermarket items from AW, Dash, ect. He didn't use the term D-Jet, though. Thanks for the clarification.
I'll probably get one to test and fiddle around with. Fortunately, I've got hundreds of good original Aurora T-Jet chassis to race!

Thanks again - Enjoy... Ernie
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 PM
National Racer
View smalltime's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowracer View Post
Much has been written about Tjets etc, and I even see a thread below comparing the ohm levels of the various armatures that have been put out. But I'm unable to find what I actually need to know.

I'm just getting back into the hobby, in a sense, and have been working mainly with AW Xtraction cars. Now I'm turning my attention to Tjets.

I have a small handful of tjets from the initial release when Johnny Lightning put them out. I tuned them as best I could and actually got a couple that ran quite well. (I remember they were all horrible straight out of the box)

Anyway, I know they came out with the one with a traction magnet. What I want to know is this: Is it just the same old Tuff Ones chassis, except with a traction magnet added, or did they change other stuff too? If you remove the magnet, will they run with other post-Aurora tjets?

What is the evolution of the JL//R2/AW Tjet in particular?

Also, the Tuff Ones chassis is just a regular Tjet with fat back tires and independent fronts, right? Assuming I put original style skinny tires on it, original style (meant for NOS Aurora) bodies should fit? I'd hate to put out an order for bodies just to find they don't fit properly on an AW tjet.

Any opinions on the matter?

Trev
What do you want to do?

Do you want to build a few T-jets to run with some friends, or do you feel a need to build cars to some "legal" standard?

If you want to build cars for a skinny tired class, I wouldn't bother with JLs and simply use your Original T-Jets. Get some Zoomin hubs and some Supertires. That's really all you need, other than hours to tune and swap gears.

Tuff ones were different than T-jets. They were silver plated electrics and the brush springs were much stronger, and they had a 6 ohm armature.

Last edited by smalltime; 11-18-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:12 PM
National Champion
View slotking's Photo Album

hopefully the dash-jet will be out soon!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:13 PM
National Champion

Still gathering people prepared to finance it I think, so it is a way off.

Good to see you back after 3 months off btw.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:40 PM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

The Johnny Lightning/Auto World Thunderjet 500s are clones of the Aurora Tuff Ones cars. As has been noted the Tuff Ones cars were a souped up version of the original Aurora Thunderjet car. It is better to use the term T-Jet for those cars. The Auto World Ultra G is a Thunderjet 500 with an added neodymuim traction magnet. AW makes a clone of the Aurora Magnatraction car called the X-Traction. I believe that there is a version of the X-Traction car with an added neo traction magnet. Between the Aurora Tuff Ones and the Magnatractions Aurora released the A/FX cars, which were similar to the Magnatractions, but the magnets were not as tall or close to the track, nobody has made a clone of the A/FX car.
JL/AW Thunderjet 500s can run very well, but most of them need some work. I am told that the latest releases of those cars have better QC.
Dash is working on a T-Jet clone. Dash has offered magnets for T-Jets that are very good and they have just introduced some new pickup shoes. Coming out with an entire car is an expensive undertaking.

Last edited by RichD; 11-19-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:05 PM
National Racer
View Dyno Dom's Photo Album

At today's Parsippany HO show,(where were you Ernie??) some info was gathered on the new
Dash T-Jet chassis. Apparently at least 6 mos. away, more funding needed and completion
of lower chassis w/electrical components. Certainly wish Dash all the very best!!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 AM
Club Racer
View shadowracer's Photo Album

Thanks for the replies guys. Really I'm just looking for an inexpensive platform for what will essentially be box stock casual racing with silicones and blueprinting allowed. We already do Magna/Xtraction racing, so I'm looking for a second "division" to run, that isn't inline magnet cars.

No desire to chase down NOS Tjets. And the DASH thing...I'm not getting excited about that anyway. Talk to me once it happens.

Basically I just wanted to know if my 1st generation JL Tjet is in the ballpark with the latest AW releases (once you take the magnet out)

Trev

Last edited by shadowracer; 11-20-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:10 PM
International Racer
View Grandcheapskate's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowracer View Post
Basically I just wanted to know if my 1st generation JL Tjet is in the ballpark with the latest AW releases (once you take the magnet out)

Trev
What we have are three different chassis. There is the original JL chassis, the AW chassis and the AW Ultra-G chassis (with traction magnet). I imagine the JL and AW chassis are the same, while the only difference in the Ultra-G is the traction magnet. There was a release or two between JL and AW from RC2, but those should be the same as the JL chassis.

Although I have not run any of the AW cars, my guess would be that all three would run about the same if you remove the traction magnet from the Ultra-G. Best way to know is to buy an inexpensive Ultra-G (some body style no one wants), remove the traction magnet and give it a test.

The couple JL cars I have are rockets. I can't imagine anything faster being more controllable.

Joe
Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Club Racer
View ajd350's Photo Album

Having been on both sides of that fence, I have settled on the Aurora TJet. Given enough time and effort, some, but not all JL/AW chassis can be made reasonably competitve with a TJet on some tracks. The problem is, so much more effort is necessary that I don't find it worthwhile. Tolerances on the JL/AW cars are so lax that hey make the Aurora look like a Swiss watch in comparison. It costs no less in the long run to build and run them, let alone the extra time. If, however you want to run a limited spec JL/AW class, it could work ok. Slip on rear silicones, weighted front ends and lowered/lightened bodies keep it simple. Keep in mind that the real builders will rule due to the huge variance in good to crap cars out-of-the-box. Since you need to buy more cars to find the good ones, who's really saving money?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:49 PM
National Racer
View Dyno Dom's Photo Album

Quality tolerances vary in all type chassis. I've had a shoe box full of assorted new T-jet chassis
for probably 35++ years & never any interest to run them. After many yrs. running the progression
of inline manufacturers, the AW/JL and G-Jets have varied my interest. I enjoy the current T-Jet
chassis & will probably dust off the box of Aurora chassis as my pancake skills improve.