Fly Model Car
BRM Model Cars
NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Scale Racing > HO Scale Slot Cars

View Poll Results: Which HO scale Slot Car is the best overall for $100 or less?
AFX / TOMY Super G-Plus 10 9.26%
TOMY Mega G 11 10.19%
TOMY Turbo or SRT 9 8.33%
BSRT Super G3 47 43.52%
Decosmo 0 0%
Wizzard Storm 3 2.78%
Wizzard Storm Extreme 9 8.33%
Wizzard Thunder Storm 2 1.85%
Tyco 440 x2 7 6.48%
Other 17 15.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Pit Crew

Default best HO car for $100 or less? BSRT , Wizzard, AFX, Tyco?

I'm looking for the best car $100 or less can buy.

I'm running a stock tri-power AFX track, and am looking for something fast and that sticks to the track extremely well because I'm an unskilled, new driver. Some people have told me Tyco 440x2, others have said BSRT or Wizzard. Opinions?

Last edited by Scaleracing; 01-09-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Spelling on title.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM
International Racer
View David S's Photo Album

andy g,
I find that the Mega G works very well for me.The car has a good running and speed range on my many turn tight track using AFX track.Going to a silicone or Jel Claw tire will let the car stick better in the turns.One main thing to do on the Mega G is to make sure that the pick up shoes make full contact with the rails and that the curved part of the pickup shoe that attaches to the brush barrel is not to loose a fit.A good 2nd choice would be the Tomy SRT chassis cars,very reliable and quite fast.On any inline chassis car a Parma Economy 45 ohm or 35 ohm controller allows the cars to be much more drivable on your track.

David S
Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 PM
International Racer
View kmas65's Photo Album

get a club car bsrt or wizard, it will be more than enough car for the afx track. under 50
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM
International Racer
View kmas65's Photo Album

sticks well = srt gt40
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Club Racer
View dcronin81's Photo Album

BSRT 902 Box stock with AFX formula 1 body Under $60 runs great on stock AFX tracks with stock power packs. Can remove traction magnets and install brass weights and run on 12V for a completely different driving experience. Also Tomy body clip allows for use with most new Tomy bodies. Best box stock hands down

MY 02

Last edited by dcronin81; 01-06-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 01-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Championship Contender
View neorules's Photo Album

My thoughts--- It depends what exactly you want from the car Andy. If you are looking for a convertible car, the 902 is an excellent choice. If you want sheer speed and handling excellence, the M-tech series II plus will lap the 902 car about every 3-4 laps. I've tested against pretty much all cars on your list. With a hardbody its hard to beat. I make them and sell them. Series II plus is $59. Any LL hardbody fits. Series II ($47)with stock rear end would probably be fine for your application. Pm me if you have further interest Andy.

Cars listed: Storm extreme has Hardbody now I believe. Very good car for 30 some dollars speed and handling wise. Spec stock cars that take hardbodies: We race these weekly, so far the Slottech has the track record in this class. The hobby store (NEW Hobby in Green Bay) has them for 75$ ready to run rolling chassis. Wizzard and BSRT specstocks are rolling chassis with extra parts needed to upgrade. Ready to run from BSRT $85, Kits from Slottech are $50. Super stocks from all manufacturers have lexan bodies 70-100 dollars. Faster than extreme or the spec stocks mostly because of the body.

boxstocks with rear tire change -- LL T car tops, Mega G and Super G+ next.

Last edited by neorules; 01-06-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Top Qualifier
View Slotbob's Photo Album

Andy,

A question with your best interest (read wallet) in mind:

Who are you gonna race and what are they driving? If it is your home track, a car that is faster than your competition is no fun in about 5 minutes, and dropping $40-$75 each for matching cars for guests can get to be less than amusing in short order.

If it is local club, perhaps consider starting at one of the lower classes and moving up when your skills catch up to the car. Whether "box stock" or something higher, usually the rules will dictate what you run. It has been my experience at SCI that there are few "open" classes.

In 1/1 racing as well as slot car racing, there has always been the question: "Is it the car or the driver?" In my opinion, it is the driver--to a point. When there are two or more "good" drivers, then the quality/speed of the car comes into play.

Maybe check out "Harden Creek" on your browser, there are several options there...

I did not vote as I do not have the experience of others here regarding your specific question.

However, if the question had been "What is the most cost effective car on this list?", my vote would be for the Tyco 440X2.

Whatever your goals, SCI will "steer" you in the right direction!

Last edited by Slotbob; 01-07-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 PM
National Champion
View NicoRosberg.'s Photo Album

The Wizzard Storm Extreme with the hard body has to be the perfect fit. Durable, fast, easy to work on, and bang-for-buck well ahead of it's two rivals.

We race the G3 and the Slottechs here too, but it tends to be the WHP stuff is a smidge faster for a bit less wedge.

If you can try and buy an SE without traction magnets but with axle pins, if WHP will custom build it that way for you.

You can then wack in Harden Creek ''Venom'' traction magnets to really fly.

Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 01-06-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Novice Racer
View bigjake77's Photo Album

I would say try a 440x2. There cheap fairly fast and. You should buy a pair. I like the side by side racing even if its slow cars once you wax there but about ten times with a super car then the fun is gone but don't tell my buddys that haha
Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Championship Contender
View Speedhoppy's Photo Album

Default Best Car $100 & Under

andy g, a $100 plateau gives you lot of car, and options to choose from even more than you listed. Also keep in mind that most every car can be improved with upgraded tires. Also keep in mind that several cars listed in your survey are no longer produced, and will have to be acquired through dwindling factory inventory, hobby / toy store outlets, or slot car shows / swap meets (Tomy Turbo / SRT, Super G+, the Tyco / Mattel 440x2, and LifeLike M come immediately to mind). These are still available, relatively low cost, easily upgraded with better tires.
I race on a home track exclusively (Tomy sectional 4-lane, w/Tri-power packs, one per lane. See my photo album), and also have examples of Wizard (Patriot Extreme/Storm), BSRT (902 & G-Jet), and M-Tech (Series I & II), and these are all more expensive (but nowhere near $100), with correspondingly more performance (i.e.faster, with better "stick") than the basic cars previously mentioned.
Iif you are just starting out, buy "basic". Tomy produces a nice chassis in the Mega G, offers nice body styles for open wheel, sportscars, two wheelbase lengths with very good detail. If you like Nascar, LifeLike (using the "T" chassis) has offerings. Both of these are reasonably priced, and fun to drive; learn on them before investing in more expensive stuff. If you start out with the higher-end cars, you may not like (nor do as well) with the more affordable cars, which are a lot of fun. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 AM
National Racer
View Solo2racr's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedhoppy View Post
$100 plateau gives you lot of car, and options to choose from even more than you listed.
EXACTLY!!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM
National Racer
View Northwest slot's Photo Album

Try the BSRT 902 and buy some upgraded polymer grade magnets for it. The poly grade are the p10. You can flip either magnets set to get more downforce or more power. The car comes with a decent set of tires, but you can easily add the BSRT silicone tires to the stock rims for an easy upgrade. Most Aurora, AFX, and Tomy hardbodies with a 1.5 inch wheel base will snap fit to the G3 chassis as well. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Top Qualifier

Slightly off topic but relevant to Andy's contemplation...

I can undertand "set" car tires requiring upgrading, but why do the "racing" cars not come with high end silicones? Any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
International Racer
View Jensen B's Photo Album

As I replied in the European forum.

In my opinion, if you are racing with friends and relations, it would be better to use a chassis of the same type as them too, otherwise you could be called a cheat for throwing money at something superior, 'just to beat them'! Is just to the way to end a beautiful relationship.

It would be better to learn to race the cars/chassis the others are racing!!!

A set of closely matched cars is the way to go, even better if you are all using the same chassis.

Don't just throw $$$$ at the latest super duper magnet missile, learn what you or your brothers have first and enjoy the competition.

$$$$$ Wars are not a good thing to engage in.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Top Qualifier

Jensen's advice, as usual, is sound.