MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Scale Racing > News & Reviews

Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Championship Contender
View cjent's Photo Album

Exclamation Scalextric/SCX goes to Carrera - Update from Bryan Young!

Subject: SCALEXTRIC/SCX GOES TO CARRERA

" The Austrian manufacturer wins the bid at the courthouse.
This morning we have seen in the Mercantile Court No. 5 of Barcelona,
Spain, hearing to decide about who can exploit the Spanish Scalextric
brand in markets that have rights, Spain, Mexico and Russia and Scx brand.
Faced with great expectation, and being in the courtroom among other
attorneys for Stadlbauer (Carrera), Hornby(Scalextric Uk) and Winkler
International, has been finally the Austrian company Stadlbauer who has
won the bid to operate the Scalextric brand after the previous licensee,
Tecnitoys went into bankruptcy .
It is unknown the scope of the agreement and the award and we will have to
wait a few days to see how just are polish some aspects of this
adjudication.
At the time of closing this breakthrough news, none of the parts involved
in that trial have wanted to express his opinion.
Stadlbauer's interest, owner of the brand Carrera, to gain the rights to
use Scalextric and SCX, may seem to be directed with the channels of
distribution in addition to achieving the brand range control and produce
in parallel Carrera and Scalextric brand.
Anyway, it is too early to establish calendars of performances, more when
the sentence can still be revised if any of the parts taking part in the
judgment considers that breach any law."

From Slot Car Today (Spain)

Last edited by cjent; 04-08-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Championship Contender
View masmojo's Photo Album

Exclamation Ouch That was unexpected!!!

Oh WOW! That blows my mind totally!! Would Carrera Sell a competing Scalextric brand up against Horby??? YIKES!!

Or Could Carrera pump some life into some of the SCX lines?

Or will they kill the brand entirely??

Must stop! Hurts my brain to think about!!!

This could get wierd!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:47 PM
National Racer
View AhabDarab's Photo Album

Agreed Masmojo.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Ahab out . . .
Old 04-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Digital Advocate
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

Pretty messy. If this is the true world of business, in which it's not personal, but business, then they would be insane to do anything other than kill as much of those brands as possible. The most I can see is them marketing/selling their Carrera product under those newly acquired brand names. It's worth noting that this is just the brand name(s), not the product/IP that was once SCX/Scalextric. I believe those are still property of Educa Borras. Presumably, they will need to create a new brand for that technology to make/sell around the world.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Club Racer
View JuanLUX's Photo Album

Latest News;

In Spanish: http://www.economiadigital.es/es/not...asco_39945.php

All is still unclear; although Carrera has been the winner of the bid for SCALEXTRIC/SCX brand name (for ridiculous 50000€). The court haven't taken a final decission yet.

Surprisingly Educa Borras didn't attend the bid.

Hot-Wheels representatives in Spain (Mattel??) bid also for SCALEXTRIC/SCX brand name (just 25000€)

Winkler International (the company that really owns the SCALEXTRIC/SCX brand) have bought the existing stock on another different bid.

I don't understand what is happening but it seems to me that the last word hasn't been said yet and perhaps Winkler and Educa Borras have some hidden strategy.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Championship Contender
View cjent's Photo Album

Red face

A (sort of) translation of JuanLux posted link:

Auction Scalextric license, one of the last steps of bankruptcy that crosses its current operator, Tecnitoys, has ended in fiasco. The Commercial Court of Barcelona number 5 has only received two bids on Friday during the process. The higher than 50,000 euros, as reported by business to Digital Economy.

Educa Borras company in the last year the brand has exploded thanks to a contract bridge and all purposes seemed very interested in the toy, has not come to the appointment. After the session, the receivers, EVE exerted by Bankruptcy Judge must decide if Daniel Irigoyen awarded the brand or suspend the auction.

The two deals

The highest bid for the license to Scalextric for the Iberian Peninsula and Mexico's representatives presented the signature race in Spain, which produces a similar toy. Your opponent has offered 50,000 euros.

In the courts have also made themselves known representatives of Hot Wheels. This American company is the operator of Scalextric rights in various countries. Their presence has raised the expectations of business, judicial sources have suggested. This has not happened. The firm has offered 25,000 euros only.

And Educa Borras?

But undoubtedly the biggest surprise has been the absence of Educa Borras among bidders. The Catalan toy company has been commissioned to exploit the brand last year and the first quarter of 2013 after reaching an agreement with Tecnitoys bridge, once it filed for bankruptcy, and banking.

The company had expressed interest in this auction and even informed the media about his business proposal to take over the British brand of racing circuits and vehicles to scale.

The competition

Tecnitoys, enterprise operating license Scalextric in Spain, went into voluntary bankruptcy in mid-October as the time progressed this media. The company, which filed a liability of 14 million euros, made the decision a month earlier after a turbulent shareholders meeting where representatives of Winkler International, owners of the license in question imposed their voice despite Investment will Hemisphere ( instrumental family company Lara) and refraining from Thomas Fornesa, another toy relevant partners.

The surprise among the banks with whom the firm has a debt of about 11 million, was capital, for he had made a preliminary agreement renegotiation very advantageous for the company.

The other auctions

The day was completed with the auction of the stock of toys available for sale - there is another important group that should be destroyed because the Spanish license does not allow sale -. The package was initially valued at 270,000 euros. Finally, it has been awarded by 70,000 to Winkle International.

The next May 23 will proceed to the second auction. This package includes furniture, computers and ground.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Digital Advocate
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

In a perfect world, the court would say, "Hey, two names is stupid. We will sell the Scalextric name to Hornby, and SCX to Educa Borras." and let that be the end of all this brand confusion nonsense.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:03 AM
Championship Contender
View Modlerbob's Photo Album

I doubt whether all this will have any impact on the US market.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Championship Contender
View cjent's Photo Album

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modlerbob View Post
I doubt whether all this will have any impact on the US market.

Bob, to quote Carrera of America President, Ed Gershowitz: "Stay tuned."
Old 04-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Championship Contender
View Modlerbob's Photo Album

I very much doubt that a court decision in Spain will grant Carrera rights to market the Scalextric brand name in any market outside those where SCX already owned the brand such as the USA. Now I can see cars that were formerly marketed in the USA as SCX having the Carrera brand on the box but I doubt whether Carrera should take on that burden. Now that I have experience with Carrera slot cars my regard for them is much higher than cars wearing the SCX logo. As an example I have probably close to 20 Carrera slot cars but only two or three from SCX.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Championship Contender

Lightbulb Name

As I understand from earlier Conversations about the Scalextric brand name, It is only in the Spanish Market & the agreement was only for X (?) years & I believe that time period is almost up!! So bidding on it with any intent of a long term strategy would not be do-able. This probably explains the lack of bids/ low bids! I would speculate that Carrera might just kill the Scalextric name off in Spain, because that would leave them with little to no competition in Spain! Horby can't sell in Spain under that name And if Educa Boras was to market some cars they would have to use a new name with no market recognition which would seriously handicap sales.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM
International Racer
View LDFan's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmojo View Post
....And if Educa Boras was to market some cars they would have to use a new name with no market recognition which would seriously handicap sales.
Why wouldn't Educa Boras use the name "SCX"? It's only the name "Scalextric" that is in question from what I understand unless I'm not reading this correctly.

Dave
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Championship Contender
View b.yingling's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDFan View Post
Why wouldn't Educa Boras use the name "SCX"? It's only the name "Scalextric" that is in question from what I understand unless I'm not reading this correctly.

Dave
My take was it covered both brand names. Scalextric in Spain, Mexico, (and Russia!?), as well as SCX everywhere else.

If it is just the brand names- no tooling, no product, no designs, no licenses- it seems a very strange purchase by Carrera. And to my (uneducated business) mind, very pricey at 50,000 euro.

Of course, it must be just the brand name, as it would be way too cheap to include anything else.

Last edited by b.yingling; 04-08-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM
World Champion
View ElSecundo's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmojo View Post
I would speculate that Carrera might just kill the Scalextric name off in Spain, because that would leave them with little to no competition in Spain!
This explanation seems to fit. Don't know if it's right or wrong, but it does tie some pieces together.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Championship Contender

Lightbulb What's in a name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDFan View Post

Dave
Good question and as someone else noted the SCX/Scalextric names seem to be tied together. Also, I could be mistaken, but I got the impression from some other threads over the last few years that Scalextric/Horby was growing increasingly annoyed @ Technitoys continued use of the name Scalextric. Even thought they were with-in their rights to use the name, apparently the agreement for Technitoys to use the Scalextric name was made in Pre-internet times when the companies were more closely related and Slotcars were at their low point in popularity. If there was a Scalextric England, and Spain and Mexico and South America or whatever it did not matter much because the people in one country could or would not really know one from the other!

The internet really messed things up for Hornby!

I am guessing the Educa Boras may have another plan for a name and may seek to distance themselves from the old SCX!? Maybe they have rights to another brand or will align themselves with someone else or get out of Slots entirely?? I would think if the existing stock and name did not interest them then maybe they are making some sort of real departure??