MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 AM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Default T-Jet Tuning Article

I have written an article on tuning T-Jet cars. It goes through the car part by part and is illustrated with pictures and diagrams. There are also listings of the tools needed to work on the cars and a list of suppliers with hot links.

The document can be found on Google drive, however the pictures look terrible and the links may not work unless you use Google Chrome as your browser.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzLR...?usp=drive_web

A better version is available in the HOCOC Yahoo! Group site in the Files section. You may need to be a registered Yahoo! user to see the Files section.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HOCOCSLOTCARRACING/

Finally you can drop me a PM and I can send you a copy of the PDF.

Last edited by RichD; 08-28-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:47 AM
National Racer
View Ditchrat's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post

Finally you can drop me a PM and I can send you a copy of the PDF.
There is a way to attach your PDF directly to the thread, much like a link. However the PDF gets stored on the forums server, and would always be accessible to you via the manage attachment functions.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 PM
National Racer
View gmcullan's Photo Album

Great article, Rich. Fantastic information for the newbies, and a solid reminder for the more experienced.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

I know how to attach a PDF, what I don't know how to do is to upload it to the SCI server. I do have a PDF there that dates back to 2010.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:09 PM
National Racer

Quote:
I know how to attach a PDF, what I don't know how to do is to upload it to the SCI server. I do have a PDF there that dates back to 2010.
Go to post reply, then go to manage attachments. After that you browser your computer, select the file and press upload. (your pdf is only so slightly to large, by like 10 mg's) Once uploaded it will post automatically, unless you chose the remove options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled2.jpg (52.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (54.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled3.jpg (43.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled4.jpg (42.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Ditchrat; 08-18-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:46 PM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Unfortunatly the file is a little too big to upload. Thanks for your reply in any case, I have bookmarked it.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:00 PM
National Racer

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of compressing your article so it would fit. It reduced it's size by about 39% so the images my suffer some deterioration.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T-Jet Tuning Article by RHD.pdf (627.1 KB, 190 views)
Old 08-18-2013, 05:36 PM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Thanks, that looks a lot better than the Google Drive version.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 PM
National Racer

Quote:
Thanks, that looks a lot better than the Google Drive version.
Its the least I can do for you spoon feeding me t-jet basics. I have some things to wrap up first with my M/Ts, but I my eye on a few t-jets for cheap. Im thinking now might be a good time for a new class on the home track.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:11 AM
Championship Contender
View Jisp's Photo Album

Rich, wow!

I'm very much doubt there is a more comprehensive guide in existence. Not had time to read it word for word yet but seems to me you covered everything from the basics/newbie type info right through to the club racer.

Put me in the newb basket for T-Jets because I don't own one yet but due to some empty bodies I have, I'm in the market. This guide is what I'll be using when I get my grubby hands on some. Kind thanks.

Cheers,
Michael.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 AM
National Racer

I got to really sit down with this article last night and digest it. As Rich says in the beginning itis about basics. Everything in the article is very simple, basic and easily completed. However don't let the introduction stop you from reading. While the tips are are all of those thing listed in the introduction it would have taken me years of experimenting to come to them on my own. I don't have t-jets but i do enjoy magnatractions and for guests xtractions with the dot magnets. The principles Rich layed out translate very well to autoworld cars. I was able to take an absolute turd of a car, strip it to bare, and apply several of the principle out lined. The result was much more then I was hoping for. What i wanted was a smoother running chassis, what i ended up with was a smoother, better handling and faster chassis. It was amazing to see how little tweeks added up to big changes.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:51 AM
International Racer
View Grandcheapskate's Photo Album

Excellent write-up Rich. Very well done.

I might add one more test that can be performed based on the experiance I have been having with my really bad JL chassis...

If the armature has been removed from the gearplate, install the gearplate on the chassis and place a small rod through the pinion gear hole and down through the hole at the bottom of the chassis (where you oil the arm shaft). If this rod leans in any direction, the armature shaft will also lean that way when installed, resulting in an armature that has no chance to spin "flat". How or if that can be "fixed" - I do not know.

Thanks...Joe
Old 09-05-2013, 10:10 AM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

If the misalignment is not severe it might be difficult to see the lean. As I mentioned in my article some people can drop the chassis and gear plate into a fixture to see if the drill blank is perfectly aligned with an indicator mark on the fixture.
I thought that making such a fixture would be beyond the scope of the article, but I may include it in a future revision. Originally I thought that the fixture would have to be machined, but actually it could be made of wood or Plexiglass and the only tricky part would be getting the indicator mark or hole in the right place.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Championship Contender
View slotbubba's Photo Album

Rich - the way I check for gear plate hole alignment is as follows.

I use a .0650" drill blank rod (or equivalent) from McMaster Carr. I pressed on a good quality double flange wheel, and the result is a good perpendicular surface to the rod.

I then slide this into the top plate and down to the bottom chassis hole. If they align well, you will have barely any friction as you twist the rod in your hand. I press it down so the outside lip of the wheel is flat on the top of the gear plate.

Do the same at the cluster shaft.

Makes pretty quick work of sorting top plates and chassis!

I will find 2 or 3 top plates that fit well, then spin up a motor in those combos and see if any top plate gives a higher pitched RPM whirl...then take that set and start building a car!