NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Novice Racer

Default Story on this Cox Cucaracha?

It is eBay number 6055424313, sold thins morning.

I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to this car and was hoping someone could inform me here.

I have had a couple junkers of the Cuc and have one decent Cuc in my collection. The one in that auction has front wings(winglets?) I have nver seen that on a Cuc. Whats the story on that?

Steve
Old 05-09-2006, 04:23 AM
Championship Contender
View tsrf's Photo Album

This was a bargain for the buyer and is the last issue of the "La Cucaracha" RTR by Cox, issued until 1969. It uses the body first issued for the "La Cucaracha GT" commonly known as the Super Cuc, a blue car with an optional vacuum plated roof structure and a different windshield issued in 1967. The original mold was modified to allow the roof to fit inside a slot molded into the air intake on front of the "engine". The front fins were then added. Since the mold was modified, Cox could only issue the "regular" Cucarachas with this new body molded in the regular orange, but they sold in confidential numbers and are quite scarce today compared to the standard version that can still quite easily be found.

The chassis of the 1968-69 "standard" Cucaracha was of the later IFC type, with the two holes for the guide, as the Super Cuc used a trailing guide. That one used the regular Cox quick-change guide mounted in the second guide hole (better install the lead wires before mounting the guide!). The motor was no longer the Mabuchi-produced "TTX150" or the earlier model, but the new Cox "NASCAR" motor made at Cox International in Hong Kong. The Super Cuc used a "Super NASCAR" motor that had no vent holes in the can, but most failed as the gimball-type can bearing was of poor quality and the armature eventually fouled the magnets while the gears self destroyed, so retailers changed the motors under warranty for the regular NASCAR motor and most Super Cucs found today have that motor.
The rear wheels were the same as on the Super Cuc, black sponge glued and trued over setscrew conical wheels on a slotted axle. The car on that auction is missing its stripes, indicating that if was probably stored in a warm place where the adhesive dried up and the stickers fell off. It will also indicate that the rear tires will be bone dry...

Regardless, a small number has now surfaced (this this only the 8th example seen on E-Pay so far) so the buyer got full value for his money as these cars are valued 3 to 4 times the cost of the earlier versions.
Here are the two cars side by side, earlier and later versions:

Note the opened scoop behind the chromed engine stack, designed to hold the Super Cur roof.

Compare the chassis: wheels, tires, motor, front wheel spacers...

The scarce later version can cost a bundle if found new in its original box.
A few bodies in a metallic purple color similar to that of the 1/32 scale "Lil' Cuc" have also surfaced but were never produced as complete cars and were almost certainly sold separately in as yet unknown packaging. We also have seen one in a transluscent red, but this might have been a factory test shot. No other colors are known to exist at this time.
Regards,

Dokk P

Last edited by tsrf; 05-09-2006 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Top Qualifier
View BigDog's Photo Album

Thumbs up Interesting...

Great info there Dokk!

Here in Brazil, back in the 60's, I saw mostly the purple body kind. Great little buggers those Cucs!!! We also had this 1:24 "Firebird" from Cox, which had a double canopy (like a jet fighter), placed side by side... pretty weird car though.

Thanx for sharing!!!

Cheers!
BigDog
Old 05-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Championship Contender
View tsrf's Photo Album

Big Dog,
In fact you did not have too many Cox Cucarachas as the Brasilian custom duties made their distribution there prohibitely expensive. So the Brasilian Estrela company built many American cars under licence: the Cox "Lil Cucaracha" produced in various colors including purple, the Gar-Vic "Firebird" (that double-bubble thing you remember as a "Cox" car) and others.
They were in fact, Estrela products...
Old 05-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Top Qualifier
View BigDog's Photo Album

Thumbs up Right on Dokk!!!

Well Dokk, you're absolutely right!!!

Now I remember: when someone got his hands on a "true" Cox Cuc it was a happening!!! I was "king of the hill" for some time 'cause my dad (who was a diplomat and travelled a lot) brought me in a deep red Cheetah (Cox) and a dark blue McLaren (Monogram), both 1:24. And that weird "double bubble" Firebird (horrible looking thing!!! ) was effectively from Estrêla...
Dokk, you're "da man" when it comes to slot history!!!

And thanks for bringing memories of a great childhood back in very few words!!!

Cheers!
BigDog

Last edited by BigDog; 05-09-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Championship Contender
View tsrf's Photo Album

Itsmyjobman!