MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 09-23-2013, 12:28 PM
National Racer
View Pip's Photo Album

Default A man can dream

Hi guys, my first post ever here. This is the start of a wooden track that my two friends and I are going to build. We have about 5 x 2.5 meters available. The track layout is still completely in sketch phase, but after weeks of studying the art of wooden track building and routing, these are some ingredients that we definitely want to incorporate:

A long straight
A hairpin
One squeeze
A long banked turn
Every turn has to be different in shape
At least one overpass
Elevations everywhere, no part entirely flat
A combination of fast parts and slow(er) sections
Coppertape

This is a quick and dirty photoshop sketch I did to get a feel for what it could look like.

At this moment I am fiercely collecting all kinds of links and pics of cool tracks from other racers, just to get a feel for track design. Luf's routing kit is on its way (to The Netherlands that is, so it might take some time, hehe)

I would love it if someone could point me in a good direction and/or has some tips or ideas for our specific location and wishlist.

I will post progress shots from now on (so now there is no turning back )
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

Hi Pip, to SCI!

That track looks good, the only drawback I would see is that it won't deliver anything near equal lane lengths (which may or may not be important to you).

No doubt others around here will come up with some helpful ideas I'm sure.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
International Racer
View RacerXtreme's Photo Album

Default bridges....

I think you'll find that tracks with an odd number of bridges or overpasses (1,3, 5,... etc.),
tend to be a little more equal in lane length than tracks with zero or an even # of bridges.

You've got a super nice room there..... and the track design looks pretty cool, but two bridges
implies fairly unequal lane length. Some people don't mind and some people will whine about it,
but it comes down to whatever you like and can fit within the space you have available.

Good luck..... Looks very nice !
Old 09-23-2013, 01:25 PM
National Racer
View Pip's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerXtreme View Post

(...) two bridges
implies fairly unequal lane length. Some people don't mind and some people will whine about it,
but it comes down to whatever you like and can fit within the space you have available.

Good luck..... Looks very nice !
Aha, yes I clearly didn't think of that, thanks!

Thank you to West Coast Racer as well

Ok, back to the drawing board

So, something else I 've been wondering, at what height should the track be, like a desk, or lower maybe? I think we would like to sit after a while at least. tnx!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM
International Racer
View indybob007's Photo Album

I like the design myself. Everyone has to race in each lane so whats the problem with lane length. That is a nice room. What is the room used for. Looks like a fire dept. Indybob
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM
National Racer
View camber's Photo Album

How many lanes are you running?
My three lane track has almost equal lane lengths (a fluke) but the center lane is faster than the other two.
I wouldn't get too hung up on having exact lane lengths, for a 2 laner it would be nice to have them close in length.
Your track design looks great.

- Cam
Old 09-23-2013, 04:58 PM
International Racer
View BRP32's Photo Album

Check out the custom tracks built by Slotmods. They are incredible! So real looking and detailed with many different track designs.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:15 PM
International Racer
View old johnny's Photo Album

Slotmods to Europe might be really pricey...and I wonder if the style of track they do would suit the loft space shown in the pic...it's a stunning look....some of the slotfire type set ups might work? But doing it yourself with say a dark stained veneer on the sides, dark grey track, black legs or steel....truly a wonderful living space
Old 09-23-2013, 05:37 PM
International Racer
View s.o.f.'s Photo Album

I really like it but would straighten out the esses a bit. They are a little extreme IMHO .
Old 09-23-2013, 06:53 PM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by old johnny View Post
Slotmods to Europe might be really pricey...and I wonder if the style of track they do would suit the loft space shown in the pic...it's a stunning look....some of the slotfire type set ups might work? But doing it yourself with say a dark stained veneer on the sides, dark grey track, black legs or steel....truly a wonderful living space
Random thoughts, ignore as appropriate, I could be out to lunch.

• Slotmods tracks are beautiful, but they're also pre-manufactured with landscaping etc, and decidedly expensive. Not sure why they would be suggested to someone who already told us "This is the start of a wooden track that my two friends and I are going to build."
  • If that's a loft, then they better head for the hills. Mountains, even. Because the water level in that canal outside is awful high! Of course, there's that staircase that presumably leads to the roof?
  • One thing more than any other that would help in the design would be to expand the width; there seems to be more than 2.5 meters of potentially available area.
  • For sure if racers are always going to rotate themselves through the lanes to conclude the winner, it's not essential to have equal lane lengths (and achieving equal lane lap times is probably impossible no matter what you do). But if it's likely to be used often with just one or two racers in short heats, relatively equal lanes make racing much more intense as they're likely to be running alongside each other all else being equal.
  • It's my feeling that a 3-lane track, maybe 14" wide, could be optimum on that approximate area.
  • Sure does look kind of like a fire hall, only really clean and liveable with a super kitchen 'n everything. And that big doorway at the back right would seem odd for a loft, incidentally, unless you're bringing up hay bales on a crane or something and it's really a barn ...
  • "Elevations everywhere" is desirable, but can create tough sight lines for drivers - a track that's elevated to its maximum at furthest difference to the driver's stations is least likely to have this problem.
  • One of the nicest features of that room is the natural ambient light.
  • I would sure like to see more general pictures of this place, and know a little more about its function; a wonderful room to be installing a permanent slot car track, for sure.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 AM
National Racer
View Pip's Photo Album

@Camber Yes, I forgot to mention that, we're going for 3 lanes

@Indybob007, @Wet Coast Racer: It is a former car garage, now our office ok, maybe it is becoming more of a mancave than an office, oh well

@BRP32 Yes, I have seen the tracks from Slotmods, beautiful stuff! This video is awesome

Thanks everyone for these tips and ideas!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:24 AM
National Racer
View Pip's Photo Album

This is a batch of thin planks I want to use for the outside. The idea is to cut short lengths, sand them a bit round and place them vertically along the side, a bit like an antique barrel. Then a layer of clear glossy coat to finish.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-25-2013, 08:16 AM
National Racer
View Pip's Photo Album

Ok, so far, I have come up with these 3 designs and I am curious what you guys think... tnx!

Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Championship Contender
View Al's slotracing's Photo Album

Will you want to race with marshals?
Even if you will only have marshals occasionally, that needs to be thought through at the design stage.
Guess it would be worth my saying a bit more about designing for marshals if you want them.

It's usually thought best to try and minimize deslotted cars under the bridge(s) Designs with straights under the bridges (or bends of such large radius that cars won't deslot when taken at full power) help with this, so does avoiding going under bridges shortly after bends.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:03 PM
National Racer
View Pip's Photo Album

@ Al's slotracing Good points, thanks! Number 2 suddenly doesn't look very practical anymore

I think we will not have marshals present most of the time, so I guess I will have to keep all the tricky bends at the outside.