Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any new hardware in the pipes for Carrera Digital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any new hardware in the pipes for Carrera Digital?

I am so happy all the hard work on the forum has hopefully finally paid off and things are up and running again.

I have been waiting to invest in Carreara Digital until the resources here were back up.

Anyone know of any changes in Control Units or wireless controllers or anything that I should wait for before starting with a set?

Nothing new coming this year on that front. I would go ahead and dive in
    Randy

Comment

I think Carrera believe D132 is where it needs to be for a while. They won't be changing for the sake of it, and there aren't any limitations that they feel are worth pursuing upgrades for (as they don't see them as limitations). Even if they were to be planning something, anything you get will likely be fully compatible with whatever it is. I say, get your set and start having fun ASAP!

Comment

Yep. I don't think we will be seeing any revolutionary (or even evolutionary!) hardware from Carrera for a loooonggg time.

Comment

Realistically, how much more advanced can it get? Keep in mind 3rd parties are currently and have developed more features that can be used with the track.

Comment

LOL. Read that again... slower. ;-)

If third parties have added features, then clearly, Carrera can be more advanced than it is now. This was all about what Carrera produces, not what the hobbyist community have added to it. If Carrera felt that those "advancements" were needed to increase the appeal of their product to the toy market, they would add them in. I don't believe they think that any of the hobbyist advancements are needed, though. So, not only can it be more advanced, but also it probably won't be. Isn't having hobbyists to make things better nice?

Point is, don't wait for Carrera to make something new. Go buy a set and get started. Anything Carrera doesn't provide, the hobbyist market will try to.

Comment

So there...

Comment

Originally posted by dinglebery View Post
                Realistically, how much more advanced can it get? Keep in mind 3rd parties are currently and have developed more features that can be used with the track.
                Real fuel mode extended and expanded to include tire and weather simulations. The existing third party software attempts at this are...all they can be, which isn't much. It would be fairly easy to do with a well done rewrite of the CU firmware. It won't happen.

Anti-collision included in lane changers from factory.

Car chips that actually work as advertised- i.e., they deliver the promised ten speed steps.

Ghost cars that don't all register as ID#7.

I could go on (and on, and on, and...), but there isn't much point. The Carrera parent company does not believe any of these things could deliver a worthwhile ROI.
                Last edited by b.yingling; 07-28-2020, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Point taken. Carrera has promised a Porsche GT2RS and provided a Mustang, so to speak. One day I'll move from analog to digital - I don't see it being soon at all though!

Comment

If you don't have a desire to move to digital at this point, I doubt you ever will. The main appeal of digital being multiple cars sharing lanes and actually fighting for position, has been around for over 15 years. Those using current features as an "excuse" to hold off can go ahead and be honest about it. It's OK that you would rather stick with analog. No one will treat you any differently, so long as you don't go around ranting about how much better analog is. ;-)

Those who actually like the fundamental concept of digital will get whatever system most closely meets their needs and enjoy it for what it is, adding community enhancements as they desire. Unless there is one or two SPECIFIC features that you are waiting for to be added to any system, since it must be true that NO SYSTEM has those features, then you're really just kidding yourself when there is no need to do so. And IF there are such features, I'd sure like to know what they are, because I can't think of any that at least one or two systems don't have.

So really.. what's stopping you?

Comment

It's a complicated answer in my head. I've said this before, but "racing" is not why I like slot cars. I'm more of a collector that likes to see them go. 97% of the time I'm by myself and enjoy controlling the cars to slide around That turn or what have you. But at most I probably spend an hour actually running cars. It's been taking more of my time because of the state of affairs in the world now. But I'm most certainly not making any excuses for not having digital, and I'm not one of those that rants about one or the other. To each their own.
                      The idea of running more than 2 cars on 2 lanes doesn't appeal to me, period. It never did. Unless I have the space to make an epic track. So to answer your question, Space is what's stopping me from having a digital track. The space to make a proper 3 or 4 lane track that'll allow the type of racing it deserves! In my mind! And ultimately what I would enjoy.
                      I'm sure this mindset is from me not having space since the very beginning to build what I always wanted. Goldfish syndrome perhaps. lol

Comment

Interesting point about going with more than 2 lanes for digital. I don't want to get too deep into this, but one of the best virtues of digital is you don't need more than 2 lanes. 6 drivers can enjoy 2 lanes, so there's no need to add lanes. Here's a case in point; my son in AZ just asked me to send him a setup with 3 cars, one for his daughter, and one each for him and his wife. That's super easy with digital because they can all drive at the same time, 3 cars on 2 lanes. And when his son gets a little older, he's on 5 weeks old now, I'll send more cars. 4 drivers on 2 lanes, that's one of the benefits of digital.

Comment

Makes even less sense when you're not wanting such a track in order to RACE. Making an "epic track" just so that you can have more lanes, because you DON'T want multiple cars per lane, means you pretty much have no interest in digital whatsoever. You want an automated car to race against? Get an old Scalextric Pacer system and hook that up to a lane. Want the car to do the driving? Get the Scalextric Challenger car. Don't need either? It's called a rheostat. ;-) Even if you had the space for your epic track, you don't want it to be digital. In fact, that you don't have enough space for an epic track, and STILL don't want what digital provides, means you can safely ignore all things digital, and lead a long and happy, analog slot car loving life.

The LAST thing I'll ever do is try to convince someone, for whom analog is the best option, that digital will be better for them in some way. It's only when they explicitly express desire to have digital-only features (e.g. multiple cars per lane with lane changing) that I try to convince them that they don't need to wait any more. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                            Makes even less sense when you're not wanting such a track in order to RACE. Making an "epic track" just so that you can have more lanes, because you DON'T want multiple cars per lane, means you pretty much have no interest in digital whatsoever. You want an automated car to race against? Get an old Scalextric Pacer system and hook that up to a lane. Want the car to do the driving? Get the Scalextric Challenger car. Don't need either? It's called a rheostat. ;-) Even if you had the space for your epic track, you don't want it to be digital. In fact, that you don't have enough space for an epic track, and STILL don't want what digital provides, means you can safely ignore all things digital, and lead a long and happy, analog slot car loving life.

The LAST thing I'll ever do is try to convince someone, for whom analog is the best option, that digital will be better for them in some way. It's only when they explicitly express desire to have digital-only features (e.g. multiple cars per lane with lane changing) that I try to convince them that they don't need to wait any more. ;-)
                            Of course it doesn't make sense to you - it's what I want from the hobby! What suits me! Just a second ago I thought I was living my life... not yours. What part of "to each their own" don't you understand MrF? What's bothersome even more is why you feel you need to attack people that don't think the same was as you about something.
                            What you are doing is projecting your thoughts and beliefs onto someone else. None of what you stated is true, nor is it what I said. You just can't accept the fact that someone else who enjoys the hobby as much as you, does it differently with all the given parts available.

Ohhh, and I don't need convincing from anyone, let alone you, to transform my analog into digital, or make a new digital. I'm not new to the hobby and am well aware of what digital offers.

Now that you've single-handedly taken this thread to somewhere outside the scope of the OP, I've no more to say about it!
                            Last edited by dinglebery; 07-28-2020, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Help me understand, then. I want to. What aspect of digital appeals to you? What is keeping you from adopting it? You said previously, that if you had space for your ideal "epic track" that you would want more lanes so that the cars would not need to share their lane with other cars. What aspect of digital would be appealing to you in such a scenario?

Are you saying that, with a large track, with multiple lanes such that cars would not need to share their lane with other cars, you would want to be able to change lanes? Can you help me understand why you can't have that same enjoyment on a smaller track? I can understand that "free to use all lanes" aspect of digital when I am running a car by myself on my 2 lane digital track. You have a track of some kind now, right? Could you enjoy the ability to use whichever lane you wanted on a smaller track?

I'm a "to each his own" kind of guy, so I'm sorry that you have taken my response as an attack. It was certainly not intended, so I hope that you can accept my apology. Honestly, I was trying, in my clearly misguided way, to alleviate any pressure or guilt you might feel for preferring analog over digital.

I guess, in the end, you say you want digital, but only under those circumstances, then I certainly can't argue with what you want. I hope that, someday, you are able to have the space you want for your dream layout, and are then able to choose a system that has all the features you want.

To circle the discussion back to something resembling the OP, if you were to have your dream space, would features would you look for in a digital system?

Comment

Working...
                              X