Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32lbKING
    replied
    Alwyn and Alan... boy, try saying that 3 times fast.Lol [and my middle name is Allen]. That answers all of my questions perfectly.
    Appreciate you taking the time. Those inserts ARE really nice, and the reason I thought they may be different wheels.
    I hadn't thought about the BRM wheels. I will check those out.
    Thanks again,
    Randy

Leave a comment:

• SuperSlab
    replied
    Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
    goes anything can be detuned. It's going the other way where you have problems.
    Ahh yes, I am frequently able to detune my cars while trying to IMPROVE performance!

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    Thanks for the info, that's what I needed to know. As far as performance goes anything can be detuned. It's going the other way where you have problems.

Leave a comment:

• SuperSlab
    replied
    Actually I was going to keep the plastic wheels so I could run them with the my Carrera cars which has plastic wheels. I just need to know if PG has the tires that fit the stock wheels.
    Yes: the tyres that I got from Paul fit the original wheels as well. I had sent him an e-mail asking for the appropriate size and he advised that his PGT-SCA-124-Rears are the right ones. Now I know this is not as per the usual Paul Gage tyre nomenclature but that is what he invoiced me for and what I got that works.

And you will have to work out some kind of handicap "balance of performance" formula to have the Carreras and the Scaleautos race each other as the Scaleauto is in a different universe, never mind a different league!

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    Actually I was going to keep the plastic wheels so I could run them with the my Carrera cars which has plastic wheels. I just need to know if PG has the tires that fit the stock wheels.

Leave a comment:

• Scaleracing
    replied
    The wheels on the Rolling chassis are the same as the wheels Alwyn photo'd They will take the Scaleauto inserts and they will take the same tires as the metal wheels that come on the racing Series of Cars.
    Axles are 3mm so the same as the Racing Series there as well. Spur gears are the same also.
    Inside measurement on the rims should be around 21mm. If you want to do 60's cars maybe the Scaleauto BRM wheels with sponge tires would work or ScaleRacing/BRM Trans Am wheels and tires?

By Race wheels if you mean Sponge like SC-2421 are going to have a slightly different offset. I normally have to remove about 2mm of spacers to fit the Sponge wheel/tires on the Race Series Scaleauto 1:24 cars.
    Last edited by Scaleracing; 05-07-2019, 11:17 AM. Reason: Cleaning up and spelling

Leave a comment:

• SuperSlab
    replied
    Randy/Dave, I am going to respond to the two of you together here. And I decided pictures are going to be worth more than a thousand of my words!

DSC01459.jpg

The car came with wheels with the appropriate (very good looking!) BMW inserts. I just had to remove the inserts from the plastic wheels and put them in the metal wheels I bought. To do that I cut the plastic wheels apart though. From left to right the above pic shows the plastic wheel after I cut it in two but put together again for this photograph. The middle two show how I cut the wheel in two close to the back end of the raised rib. Here you can also see how the insert was glued to the boss in the middle of the top (rear) section. You can also see where I slit the rim part afterwards to easily remove the insert. Lastly the rear of the insert itself showing where it was glued to the boss in the wheel. Other than at that point the insert was not glued to the wheel so it came out cleanly: it popped straight into the metal wheel and was a snug enough fit that, without any gluing, it was a bit of a chore to get it out of the wheel for these pics.

The metal wheel on the axle:

DSC01461.jpg

Here you can see the flat. So the metal wheel does not have any flat but the flat on the axle is narrow enough that it does not cause any fit issues for the wheel: no movement/slop.

Dave: as for whether the wheels are the same size as on the race model: I cannot comment on that as I do not have any of the race versions. The metal replacement wheels I bought on Alan's recommendation (part # SC-4043) is exactly the same size as the plastic wheels fitted to the home series car and the tyres could have been a direct swap had I not bought urethanes. I suspect that the SC-4043 wheels are the same size as on the race cars but I do not know that for a fact: sorry!

Hope this helps guys.

Alwyn

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    Second question on the wheels. Are the plastic wheels the same size as the metal wheels on the race BRM? IE Can the same tire be used on either the metal or plastic wheels?
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• 32lbKING
    replied
    Alwyn,Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. Are the wheels on your car the same as the generic looking ones on the rolling chassis or are the inserts part of the wheel?
    About the axles, is there a corresponding flat spot in the wheels on your BMW ?
    Thanks again,
    Randy

Leave a comment:

• SuperSlab
    replied
    Man I love that Z4, thanks for the info Alwyn. Also good luck in the 24hrs!
    Dave
    Thanks Dave: I am started to get very excited about it. And not a bit apprehensive: I am stepping into a very professional, successful team and I would hate to let them down! I have done three BRM 1/24 scale 24 hour races (NOT my scale!) but this will be my first 1/32 one.

Fingers crossed....

Leave a comment:

• SuperSlab
    replied
    Originally posted by 32lbKING View Post
    Can any one tell me what the inside diameter of the face of the plastic wheel is [for inserts] and what the maximum depth of an insert could be?
    I cut the plastic wheels apart to get the original inserts and they fit perfectly in the Scaleauto metal wheels part # SC-4043. ID of the wheels is 20.16mm measured to the best of my ability. Measuring an ID like this with calipers is always a touch dodgy...

Depth of the metal wheel is just under 7mm with a bit of a raised boss in the middle

Originally posted by 32lbKING View Post
    Also, are these axles the same size as the Scaleauto metal chassis cars?
    Diameter is the same (3mm) but I do not have anything to compare them with for length. Note also that the Home Series axles have flats on them at the ends for the plastic wheels. I do not know if the "regular" axles have that as well. It did not cause any issues for putting the metal wheels on, in fact I like the fact that the grub screws can lock onto the flat. It certainly does not cause any out of roundness or anything: the car is silky smooth.

Hope this helps.

Alwyn

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    Man I love that Z4, thanks for the info Alwyn. Also good luck in the 24hrs!
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• 32lbKING
    replied
    I see the complete rolling chassis is now listed on page 2 of the link in post #5 Can any one tell me what the inside diameter of the face of the plastic wheel is [for inserts] and what the maximum depth of an insert could be?
    I would like to cut down kit wheels for inserts, but I am thinking the diameter of the wheels may be too large for the ones I would use [mainly '60's and '70's American cars].
    Also, are these axles the same size as the Scaleauto metal chassis cars?
    Randy

Leave a comment:

• SuperSlab
    replied
    Thanks for the pics Alwyn. Do you guys run silicone or urethane? Looking forward to the drive report.
    Dave
    Hi Dave

Sorry for the slow response. We basically run urethanes exclusively. Some of us do prep and use rubber tyres for proxy cars and we also run rubber proxies but after some bad experiences silicones are out.

As for the drive report: I finished tyre prep etc and took the car to the track yesterday And for some perspective ahead of time: best lap times for my 1/24 cars (all BRM)

Porsche 917 6.607
    Porsche 962 6.761
    McLaren F1 GTR 6.783
    Mustang 6.872

Right off the bat I have to say the Scaleauto car is an absolute joy to drive! It is smooth, quiet, predictable: just loved it! And at the end of the evening: no suppose: a new fastest 1/24 lap time @ 6.542 sec. Not a huge difference but still. I find it more quiet and smooth than any of my BRM cars, this at half the price. All I did for preparation was to replace the rear plastic wheels with metal ones (front wheels still the stock plastic), replaced the guide with a screw in Scaleauto guide, added grub screws to the bottom of the front axle (you have to do a bit of surgery here as the primary base plate overlaps the holes a tad), set the clearances, set the front axle height, lubricate & go.

So: I have to say this is quite an incredible car on the 80' rather technical wood track we run on. I suspect there could be a little flurry of orders from people in our group so Alan: be warned!

I consider this the 1/24th bargain of the year: well done Scaleauto!

Alwyn

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    Thanks for the pics Alwyn. Do you guys run silicone or urethane? Looking forward to the drive report.
    Dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X