No announcement yet.

WOS interface for PC Lap Counter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone seen craigavrc on here anymore still working on this project to use pc lap counter

Comment

I got farther down the road to making this. got the software loaded on the chip before soldering. now I am soldering. I can't post pics b/c the forum is still messed up w/ my albums

Comment

I got everything soldered together. Have pc lc on a pc. have the pc connected w/ usb data only cord. but now I have to find a driver for the device. Craig left that part out.

Comment

I found some ppl to help me with the software part of this project. they down loaded the Arduino driver. they set up the USB port to talk to pc lap counter. however I can't get the pc lap counter to read the laps off the scx wos power base using the wire soldered off the chip and run thru the Arduino and Arduino software.

Comment

looking at old posts I and Craig got our wires crossed. I only had point c soldered on the chip. I thot that's all I needed at the time b/c I didn't invest enuf thot into the project. now that I've done more I also need point b and a soldered on the board. so I have more work to do. then it should work hopefully.

Comment

taking my scx wos track piece to an electronics repair place to get a quote on having the resister moved and wires soldered on to hopefully get pc lap counter working with the Arduino.

Comment

Got the resistor moved. Now waiting on the proper wire to arrive to solder to the end of the resistor and pad. This phone repair place is going to charge me over $100 to do this but it's micro soldering and can't be done at home. I'd say the mkt rate for a pc lc wos base would be over $250 shipped.

Comment

the wire chosen for the jumper was too heavy of gauge. when the solder cooled the resistor tore in half. the guy got another resistor and I gave him some Arduino jumper wire. he soldered that on with the new resistor. he layed the wire in a convenient spot for soldering but it isn't a convenient spot to put the board back in place and screw together the powerbase. I have to run the 2 wires out the led lite hole which looks bad. I hot glued over his work to hold the wire together. now I have to finish soldering the arduino stuff. I still don't know if all this effort produced a working power base for pc lap counter. hopefully by new year I will know.

Comment

Hopefully CraigAVRC is well and still checking the forums.
                    First, I just want to say THANK YOU! for taking the time and trouble to sort out an interface to the WOS controller. What you did is AMAZING!
                    I have purchased a few of the SCX WOS systems. PCLC is next. I have ordered all the pieces for the interface (parts are due soon) and really need a couple questions asked.
                    1. Have you made any updates?
                    2. Do you have any diagrams that include the Arduino?
                    I want all the bells and whistle options for my setup, I am not a programmer but have played around with Arduino sketches, I am not afraid to solder. This is not for profit; it is my basement layout and hopefully will provide years of fun.
                    Thank you for any assistance,
                    Allen.

Comment

Hopefully CraigAVRC is well and still checking the forums.
                      First, I just want to say THANK YOU! for taking the time and trouble to sort out an interface to the WOS controller. What you did is AMAZING!
                      I have purchased a few of the SCX WOS systems. PCLC is next. I have ordered all the pieces for the interface (parts are due soon) and really need a couple questions asked.
                      1. Have you made any updates?
                      2. Do you have any diagrams that include the Arduino?
                      I want all the bells and whistle options for my setup, I am not a programmer but have played around with Arduino sketches, I am not afraid to solder. This is not for profit; it is my basement layout and hopefully will provide years of fun.
                      Thank you for any assistance,
                      Allen.

Comment

I got bored, so I took the time to convert these instructions into a HOW-TO page on my own site, just incase this forum crashes again.
                        The data was inaccessible for a long time.

http://www.virtualraceways.com/_WOS_LC.html

There isn't anything new... just the same info reworded and reorganized.

Comment

Hello everybody,

I just got an email from Drac. Last I checked, these forums were still down and when they came back I didn't get any notification or I would have answered sooner. I am quite relieved as I somehow did not keep a copy of the original posted instructions so it is nice to see them and get a copy.

alnchar:
                          1. There have not been any updates since this was originally posted. I think Drac has the only two modified bases. Mine was still a spaghetti mess on a breadboard at the time.
                          2. All the diagrams I made were posted in the first post. The controller board I used for this was technically an STM32 "Blue Pill", but this was written in Arduino.

Free time is scarce these days but I am happy to help when I can.

Comment

I understand how busy things can get and really appreciate the reply. I took a break from working on the interface to write this. Any chance of an Arduino sketch for the LEDs?
                            Thanks

Comment

I'm subscribed but not getting notifications, sorry for the delay.

Everything is in the posted firmware, simply hook up what you want to use and ignore the rest.
                              As far as the LEDs go, they are displayed based on the data coming back from PCLapCounter(PCLC). The fuel consumption is based on the lap info sent to it and the gate lights are triggered by the PCLC countdown and other commands such as caution, etc.

I probably didn't do a good job explaining all the functions in the first part. I will be back tonight with a better write-up

Comment

So here is a breakdown on what this mod consists of:
                                ​​​​​​
                                1. An external lap data interface for PCLacCounter(PCLC) software.
                                The USB connection will provide PCLC with crossings of the Start/Finish line and also Pit entry/exit crossings if those lanes are fitted to the track. All further processing is done in PCLC, such as lap times, counts, fuel consumption, etc. This is the easier of the soldering, third picture in the first post.

2. Race automation and speed regulation.
                                Here, the data sent out to the cars is intercepted and modified to limit top speeds, slow cars for empty fuel, and disable throttle between races. Much of the motivation was for public events for Draconious and for myself playing with the kids and grandkids. This requires the complicated soldering in the 4th, 5th and 6th pictures in the first post.

3. Fuel and start LEDs.
                                Based on the output of PCLC, the board will drive APA102 LED strips. If the fuel LEDs are not desired, just connect 10 LEDs for the start lights.

4. Key Fob remote for:
                                Starting, pausing and resuming races. It is also the input to change the speed limit level. The little display screen displays the speed limit set and has no other function.

Comment

Working...
                                X