No announcement yet.

SCP-1 and Carrera Track wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a video I took of what's going on with the trigger control of the motor. I put the track back together and can use the controller to run a car around the track BUT it's worse than the OEM Carrera controller! How do I get this fixed Sot.it??

Here's a video of the OEM Carrera controller.

Last edited by dinglebery; 06-03-2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I was always under the impression I had a positive polarity cartridge. Mike Stott who owns Cloverleaf Raceway ordered my controller for me for use on his track. The only analog tracks I used it on was the track at his shop and his home track [where the Michigan 24hr race is run].
      I can confirm from looking at the underside of your original Carrera power track that it is wired the same as mine. The only difference is that mine does not have the fuse running from the negative post to post #3 on your diagram [mine is just a solid wire but wired the same].
      I hooked my Slot it controller [and the PM controller] up to an unmodified power track [I have 3 of them] like it shows in post#14 for a positive polarity cartridge in the box under the photo of the type "B" power track connections, and it works just like it shows in that box [properly, but running counter clockwise direction]. If I reverse just the power plug [positive to #2, negative to #1], I have full power to the motor without pulling the trigger, and no control with the controller.
      So I flipped the power plug back to [positive to #1 and negative to #2] and just swapped the + and - wires at the rails and every thing works perfect.
      So it looks like all I needed to do INSTEAD of modifying the wiring is to flip the power plug and swap the lane wires.
      If your car is running in the proper clockwise direction when wired in the way you have it written on the cardboard [same as the box in post #14 too] is it possible that the direction switch that you installed might be set to the other direction? I ask this because wired like that it should be running in a counter clockwise direction according to the diagram. Just grasping at straws here.
      Oh, I almost forgot, the video won't play for me.
      Last edited by 32lbKING; 06-05-2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 32lbKING View Post
        ...I hooked my Slot it controller [and the PM controller] up to an unmodified power track [I have 3 of them] like it shows in post#14 for a positive polarity cartridge in the box under the photo of the type "B" power track connections, and it works just like it shows in that box [properly, but running counter clockwise direction]... just swapped the + and - wires at the rails and every thing works perfect.
        That made the cars go in the clockwise direction I presume.

...If your car is running in the proper clockwise direction when wired in the way you have it written on the cardboard [same as the box in post #14 too] is it possible that the direction switch that you installed might be set to the other direction? I ask this because wired like that it should be running in a counter clockwise direction according to the diagram. Just grasping at straws here.
        Yes you're correct the car goes counter-clockwise. The switch allows the cars to go either direction.

...Oh, I almost forgot, the video won't play for me.
        I had it set to Private and provided the link here but I guess that didn't work. I changed it to Public. You should be able to see it now.

Ultimately I think there's something wrong with my SCP-1 controller

Comment

I can see the video now. With the red light coming on there may be something wrong with it, but I don't know that much about it. I remapped my trigger also, like you did, but it was to get a slower acceleration with a longer trigger pull so that I had more time to react because my hand/eye coordination is not that quick.
          Greg [Mr.Flippant] knows quite a bit about Slot it controllers, so he may be able to help.
          Randy

Comment

Originally posted by dinglebery View Post
            That made the cars go in the clockwise direction I presume.
            Yes, you presume right.

Comment

Here is how a positive polarity track is wired.

Here is the same thing with a direction reversing switch, there has to be a separate switch for each driver's station. If you never expect to change the direction that the cars run skip the switch, they have been known to cause problems in a club racing situation.

Here is the negative polarity wiring that all 1/32nd sets except for Policar use.

Switching the wires at the power supply will change the polarity, but the cars will run backward, to keep the cars running in the same direction you have to switch the wires that go to the rails as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dinglebery View Post
                I had it set to Private and provided the link here but I guess that didn't work. I changed it to Public. You should be able to see it now.
                Unlisted will make it viewable with the link, but not show the video in your YouTube video upload listing.

Comment

MrFlippant - care to share any thoughts you have about the video?

Comment

Only that I agree with you that it's likely the controller is malfunctioning. I don't have that type of cartridge, but I did notice that your wiring IS like what I used for mine. My controller is the common ground one that has the 3 banana plugs on the end, not any kind of jack plug for track systems, though. It doesn't look anything like yours, but that might just mean it's an older version. Mine has an actual glass fuse in it, as well as the resetting fuse like yours does.

If I had that kind of cartridge, or I could find any useful information on the slot.it web site, I might be able to help more. Unfortunately, they've made their site a LOT less useful than it used to be, and I can't even find product information for that cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                      ...If I had that kind of cartridge, or I could find any useful information on the slot.it web site, I might be able to help more. Unfortunately, they've made their site a LOT less useful than it used to be, and I can't even find product information for that cartridge.
                      Thanks for your input!
                      I finally got fed up looking for info I emailed them directly. Let's see how long it takes to get a response.

Comment

If you want to use an electronic controller you have to be careful about how you change the direction that the cars will go around the track. The easy way to do that is to switch the wires at the power supply which will change both lanes at once. Doing that will also change the track polarity and an electronic controller that was working properly will no longer work and possibly might be damaged. It is best to switch the wires that go to the track rails, you would need a separate reversing switch for each lane. Carrera tracks have negative polarity, if the Slot.it controller had a positive polarity cartridge and the track was still negative polarity I am not certain what would happen to the controller. A Slot.it controller does not work like most other electronic controllers, those are linear devices whereas the Slot.it is a PWM device. As you pull the trigger of a linear controller the output is an increasing DC voltage. With a PWM controller the output is always at the maximum voltage but it is rapidly switched on for an increasing percentage of the time. There is always an AC component to the output of a PWM controller. A good linear controller should have a diode to prevent a reverse voltage from damaging anything and a fuse or beaker to protect the transistor from overheating. The Slot.it controller has a fuse, but I don't know if there is any protection from a reverse connection.
                        Your controller may have been damaged, but probably it is OK. Possibly there is a bad connection in your track wiring, the connections do look a little iffy to me. Bad connections that are not actually open act like resistors and those drop more voltage as the current in the circuit goes up. I was looking at the amp display shown in both of the videos, those indicate that the motor in the car is not a problem. In any case you have to be sure that the track wiring is OK. If it was me I would ditch all of the Carrera wiring and plugs and have proper driver's stations. Club style tracks use either screw post connections for controllers with alligator clips or XLR jacks. XLR jacks and plugs are better because they can't short out or get connected wrong. You would have to put alligator clips or XLR plugs on your controllers, but that would probably save you some grief in the long run.
                        At the very least the car should get around the track OK using a Carrera controller, even if the sensitivity is not ideal.
                        Diagnosing issues of this sort over the Internet is not always easy, an experienced trouble shooter that was there could probably solve your problem quickly.
                        One last thing, if your power supply has an amp control make sure that is turned all the way up or your cars may cut out from time to time.

Comment

Update ... I've wired the track for POSITIVE POLARITY and the controller still functions like in the video I posted above. I have not received a response from Slot.it so I called Scale Racing Center and spoke to Alan about it. He's on it! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X