Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer Legends cars

I did a search, nothing.

Anyone have one of the Pioneer Legends cars yet ?
    Wondering what I'm in for. I just ordered a green McDonalds car.

Mike

Mike,

There is plenty of chat regarding the Pioneer Legends Racers on some other forums and in particular on the 'Pioneer Slot Car Community' Facebook pages.

As well as the RTR models, Pioneer have also released kits of both Legends models, the Ford and the Chevy. These appear to be hugely popular.

David

Comment

You are in for a world of pain Mike.

Cause once you get one you will be buying more - and then you will want the white kits to decorate your own..........LOL

They are great little cars look fantastic drive as well. Some reports of wheels and gears being a bit loose but nothing major.

cheers
      David

Comment

I've seen where the guides are severely loose in the frame pan.
        I'll see how the tires work on my track.

I notice that the front tires seem to be centered in the front fenders in the sedans, but off-center in the coupes..!? I have a sedan coming.

Thanks for the comments.

Mike

Comment

Got it already.
          Very cool little car,bodywork wise, well done.
          A little oil, a little hard coat on the front tires...not bad on my wood track.
          While the guide is sloppy as hell, the back tires are a bigger problem. Gotta figure a way to true them (or find replacements, non-silicone). With press on wheels not sure how to go about truing the wheels and tires.
          I know with the "Razor" tire truing machine, it's an easy task. I've got a Hudy, not so easy.

Mike

Comment

Mike, it might be worth 'massaging' those rear tires a little. I have found that the wheel rib is a tight fit into the tire channel. On some of them, just a little massaging and you will hear a 'click' as they seat better onto the rim. The same applies to the fronts as well.

David

Comment

Thanks.
              Will give the "reseating" a try.
              Also a courser sand paper for truing the tires...on...the car.

Mike

Comment

A Tire Razor is the best solution if you need to true tires that are on plastic wheels. If you were going to do a lot of that it might be worth getting a Tire Razor, however if I recall correctly Pioneer recently switched over to wheels that mimic standard aluminum set screw wheels. If that is the case you could put your tires on a standard wheel and true them on your Hudy. If the Pioneer axle/wheel assembly had any runout that would not work as well. You might remove the rear tires and run the motor at 3 volts or so to see if there is any wobble.
                A true fanatic would replace the entire Pioneer rear axle assembly with aftermarket parts, CB design Stock Car wheels might be a good match for the stock wheels, but that would be a very expensive option.
                It is most likely that just running the car on 200 or 400 grit sandpaper would be good enough and a little 3in1 oil or NSR tire conditioner on the tires would not hurt.

Comment

Rich -

I've actually thought of the wheel swap. I have a coupla sets of "steel" wheels from CB Design just waiting for something to do ! Haven't checked the width yet, but I can always buy more.
                  And yea, also thought about trying the tire/wheel swap to true the tires on the Hudy too. But not sure how well that would work. Could make them worse, that's why I haven't tried that yet. I guess it actually can't get any worse..! A "full pull" on the straight is a bouncy proposition right now. No fun at all.
                  The Pioneer tires actually seem to work well on my track. Corning seems to be well controlled, even with the noted problems.

I also need to secure the bushings in the chassis pan. That should help a lot. The bushings are loose in the pan, the axles are loose in the bushings...Pretty bad..!

Overall, the car is pretty cool. It may just be worth the effort to, as you say, "replace the entire Pioneer axle assembly".

Mike

Comment

If you pull the plastic wheels off you will probably find that the ends of the axles are knurled, so aftermarket wheels would not fit. The knurled ends of the axle are larger in diameter than the plain part that rides in the bearings, so in cars with knurled axles the axle will always be a sloppy fit that causes problems with cars that don't have traction magnets. The cheap fix is the Superglue trick, which is included in this tuning article: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qB...qnhl30_ixis4rX
                    Be sure to glue the bearings to the chassis if they want to move around.
                    The expensive solution is to replace the axle, gear, wheels and tires with aftermarket parts. If the aftermarket axle was not a good fit in the stock Pioneer bearings you would need to replace the bearings as well.

Comment

Did Pioneer start knurling their axles? non-knurled axles was one of the selling points of their cars from the start. I don't have a legends car yet, but every other Pioneer car I have has smooth axles.

Comment

In a Youtube video I found, it says that they are...not...knurled. But, knowing the way plastic wheels are..!
                        Plus like I said, the axle to bushing is a loose fit. I think I may have axles and bushings, maybe even ball bearings that have a proper fit to each other. Then will just be finding a gear that fits.

I haven't had time to try the sanding the tires, and do a wheel check, all that yet. Hopefully by the weekend.

Mike

Comment

I should have checked up on the knurled axle thing. If the ends of the axles are smooth you would still have to make sure that the diameter is the standard 3/32nd inch. Without knurling the wheels are likely to fall off sooner or later. You can glue the wheels back on, but if you race your cars and it is legal to use them aftermarket wheels are a better way to go. Having a wheel fall off during a race will ruin your whole day.
                          Last edited by RichD; 03-27-2020, 05:01 AM.

Comment

What I have learned over the years is that the entire rear axle is critical. Poor rubber, out-of-round tires, loose wheels, bent axles, sloppy rear bearings, misaligned bearings, loose bearings -- all can make an otherwise great car doggy.

From what I've read above, I'd be budgeting for an entire new rear.

Also, when setting up said rear, make sure the bushings or bearings are truly inline. One video I saw online showed an axle being dropped by gravity straight through both rear bushings. Now that is what I call inline!

Another thing I'd look into. Somebody -- I forget who right now -- sells bushings that are halfway counterbored. That is, there is a step in the ID of the bearings -- just slightly larger than the bore for the axle. This is claimed to do two things: reduce any binding on the axle, and retain a drop of oil to keep the business end of the bushing lubricated.

Don't laugh. I used counterbored bushings as a motor hack back when I was racing 1/32nd sprint cars. My motors definitely gave me an edge. And that was noticed. I got a request from another racer to sell him one of my motors. I kept that mod to myself, because I wasn't sure it would be allowed. We were under pretty strict rules, but nothing was said about counterboring bushings.

Yes, it was weaselly of me. I still wasn't winning races, so I'm not too ashamed of it. I've not done it since.

I've been tempted though.

Ed Bianchi

Comment

Scalextric or Pioneer Trans Am tyres for the Mustang or Camaro fit the wheels. So people who make urethane replacements for those cars like MJK, PG and Yellow Dog will have something that fits

cheers
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X