Sticky Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky Paint

Recently sprayed painted a white kit ,got a really nice finish. My problem is,the darn paint won't setup,its been two days and it's still sticky to the touch.It's like it's a fly tape. Anybody else ever have this problem?? Thanks

The only times I've seen that happen was when the humidity was pretty high.

Comment

What preparation did you do, was there any sort of undercoat applied first, Robert? Also, what kind of paint did you use?

The last time I ran into this issue, I think it was Tamiya red from a can that took days and days to 'set'.

Comment

I did not use any primer, just sanded and washed the body. I painted the body with Testers Orange spray paint. What i have done for now is to rig a wire hanger from a low heating source to help the paint dry. I will have to be careful not to melt the body and in time i hope it will dry

Comment

Testor's enamel?

Im still waiting for some to dry that I shot in 1968.

Wishing you good luck!

Comment

Well, i will give it a few more days and see if it cures, and then i will try and strip it. Cheers

Comment

If you spray solvent based paint when it is humid water will get trapped in the paint and it will take a long time to dry. I have a dehumidifier in my basement and I usually keep the humidity under 40%, I like to drop it even lower when I am spraying paint, closer to 20%. I use Testors spray enamel all of the time and never have a problem with it drying. You can speed up the drying process if you warm it up slightly. If you get carried away the body could get damaged. You would want to keep the temperature under 100°F. Never try that with a resin body, it only takes a little heat to soften those.
              Last edited by RichD; 04-27-2020, 05:30 AM.

Comment

This is what i did to cure the paint,i decided i had nothing to loose with the non drying paint,so i poured the heat to it with a hair dryer. I realize i have to watch that i don't melt the Car,but if you rotate the car you dry all sides. and its finely dry after two days .
                Last edited by Robert; 04-06-2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

A couple years ago I sprayed a Polar Lights Mustang funny car, with Testors Competition Orange enamel and it took about a week to completely dry.
                  I didn't note the conditions. I might have put it on a little heavy, not sure. Had a little orange peel, but no runs or sags. I learned patience on that one. Lol
                  Randy

Comment

[QUOTE=Im still waiting for some to dry that I shot in 1968.[/QUOTE]

LOL me too! guess we must'a done Something wrong! lol again
                    Last edited by Speedynh; 04-07-2020, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X