Fly Truck parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Truck parts

Does anyone know where I can get the spring that fits over the post of the guide? Or an entirely new spring loaded guide would be ok also. Thanks!

What I know about racing Fly Trucks would probably fit on the head of a pin.

But, I did once enter a truck in the Fly Trucks Proxy Race, something I couldn't even test on the home track for a full lap (due to the overpass), and I think I used a B-Nova guide in that thing. Along with replacing all the rear tires with Luf's urethane's, adding a bunch of weight low on the rear chassis, and lowering the whole front end.

If you look around, there are probably several companies (such as Slot.it) who make good substitute guides that could work, with deeper keels. It ain't just the spring that keeps the front end of it planted in the slot.

I include the link, because you may find build challenges asked and answered amongst those proxy threads that can help you figure this one out.

Comment

HA! I was just watching a video on racing trucks - unfortunately the link is bad... but you responded about it! Thank you!!

Comment

And run the cab loose. Looser than you'd think prudent initially.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangmere222 View Post
          And run the cab loose. Looser than you'd think prudent initially.
          Any help with replacement guides or parts?

Comment

Originally posted by dinglebery View Post

Any help with replacement guides or parts?
            As someone that has raced these trucks a lot I always junked the Fly guide. The spring loaded guide was woefully inadequate for racing. But there is hope. Go to Slot Car Corner and look under 1/32 part by type, select Guides Braids & wire sub section. Find the following items
            1. Slot It #SICH07 screw in wood guide. You need one.
            2. Listed as Scalextric Guide post repair Combo.Part #CGGA007. Made by CG Slot Cars. These are a set of three adapters of various thickness that allow you to insert the one you need to bring the guide down as far as possible, no spring needed.

You most likely will need to either sand out the present inside hole to get it to fit the adapter or use a drill bit BY HAND! I do it by sand paper wrapped around a small drill bit. Try each size to see which one works best. Remember to leave space for the braid. Then glue it in with CA glue and let dry for a few hours. Insert the new Slot It guide (screw type) and see how much you have to sand down on the top to get a nice flat fit for the screw head. Back off a tad and a drop of oil around the guide post and you're ready to rumble

Comment

What do they say? 'Knock, and the door will be opened?' Excellent post there!

Seems to me that whatever you're racing, getting the front end planted in the slot properly is the first essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Busterfla View Post

As someone that has raced these trucks a lot I always junked the Fly guide. The spring loaded guide was woefully inadequate for racing. But there is hope. Go to Slot Car Corner and look under 1/32 part by type, select Guides Braids & wire sub section. Find the following items
                1. Slot It #SICH07 screw in wood guide. You need one.
                2. Listed as Scalextric Guide post repair Combo.Part #CGGA007. Made by CG Slot Cars. These are a set of three adapters of various thickness that allow you to insert the one you need to bring the guide down as far as possible, no spring needed.

You most likely will need to either sand out the present inside hole to get it to fit the adapter or use a drill bit BY HAND! I do it by sand paper wrapped around a small drill bit. Try each size to see which one works best. Remember to leave space for the braid. Then glue it in with CA glue and let dry for a few hours. Insert the new Slot It guide (screw type) and see how much you have to sand down on the top to get a nice flat fit for the screw head. Back off a tad and a drop of oil around the guide post and you're ready to rumble
                This is amazing info - Thank You!!! I will definitely get these parts and try one out.

However... my custom Carrera track is very "technical". It's got steep elevation changes, a dip in an overhang, 2 levels, banked curves, and kinks all crammed into a 10'x4' sheet of MDF. With that said I would think a spring loaded guide would be best for a truck that uses all tires to roll on. Take a look at the video and tell me what you think!

Comment

With the deep wood guide firmly planted down, I doubt the elevation changes will cause any trouble. I the Truck proxy races that we ran a few years back we have many different tracks, both MDF and plastic. Get the guide down into the slot and get the front axle "slop" to a minimum and you should be good to go. Go to the Fly Truck proxy series in the Proxy forum. plenty of info on mods for all Fly Trucks discussed there. That's how I learned in the beginning
                  Last edited by Busterfla; 07-03-2020, 06:19 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Working...
                  X