Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could start a new basement club, what classes and rules would you use ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could start a new basement club, what classes and rules would you use ?

Our Club appears to be dying and membership is dwindling. The rules sets we use have been poked and prodded for the past 10-15 years and are a bit of a mess and outdated. We discussed it last night after a race at my house. At my house I introduced using a European Round Robin instead of the clubs normal race format and it seems to have worked out. We currently run 9 classes of cars over 5-6 hours and I just think that is way to many classes. The problem is that some people do not want to drop their "favorite" class or just don't want to buy new cars, etc, etc.

So I recommended everyone look at the rules and then have each person come up with their own rules if they were going to start a new club with the interest of getting new people into the club.

I would love to get a more world wide idea on what you guys would do if you were starting a new club. My idea is to get us down to 5 or 6 classes and try to make these all box or very close to it. and maybe a few tire change options.

• Carrera DTM box stock possibly no magnet
    • Ninco or MRRC/monogram Classics with MT-1 motor swap for balance, no magnet.
    • Scalextric Trans Am - scalex still makes these, easy to buy and good variety.
    • Slot.it Classics - box stock, tire options possible no magnets
    • slot.it modern GT - box stock tire options possibly no magnets
    • Slot.it Group C - box stock tire options.

these are my ideas, the only cars we don't currently race are the Carerra DTM's but these are real cheap and widely available as well as good runners.

I would like to get some Nascar as they are the most recognizable cars in the USA but the only company making them are Carerra and nobody in the club owns them. I hear great things about the DTM cars, I got one and it drives great. their Nascars however are not that great.

So what would you do if you were making your own new club ? Or whats has worked well for your club ?

In the NASTE group we've run IROC but recently also moved toward a run what ya brung philosophy despite having some classes. This is our Thursday night series and nothing to do with our typical IROC series. We run the following with 4 classes per night or to a TV time limit for you wrasslin' fans.
    • Trans Am
    • Classic Sports Car
    • GT
    • Vintage F1 (multiple classes)
    • BRM Porsche 956 (1:24)
    • Over 50 (1:24)

We don't spec a car or mfg as much as we do motor limits. The over 50 is our newest class and has proved a lot of fun with the cars being early 1:24 RTR cars like Cox, Gar-Vic, Monogram, RussKit, Classic and the like with 36D motors. (Somebody else must be doing this too, competition for this stuff is getting stiff on those auction sites.)

The Vintage F1 class contains more class breakouts than an SCCA autocross.

We get 10 - 20 or us per race night and have a great time.

Most of us are out for fun, we still get a few that are out for glory.

Comment

Consider some change to the style of racing to include a handicap series. Two possibilities.

1. By time or bracket racing. Run a race for cars that do a set time . i.e. a 6 sec car. If the driver goes faster then they are DQ. Means any car can run or can limit to a class style to.

2. By laps or handicap. Run a series and then repeat race series with the winner giving the laps they won by to every other driver. If three drivers winner by ten laps and twenty laps then in second series the driver A starts 10 and 20 laps behind the other two drivers. Means the really good guys have to work for their win and gives newbies a feel of leading the race, even winning. Over time the handicap gets smaller.

These are ways to bring newbies in to the hobby and equalize the experts and not so expert. Not good for every race but variety can be good.

Comment

You can't please all the people......

Having classes and specific rules for classes can generate even more of a headache.
        We currently have 24 classes(YEP thats 2 4 !!!) which is overwhelming for any new members!
        What makes it worse is we run silicone tyres, so that's 24 cars and 24 pairs of tyres!!

We do run some IROC classes however for those classes that not everyone has cars for.
        We generally run four classes for 4 weeks alternating classes between tracks. so over an 8 week period you race 8 classes 4 alternating weeks. Most cars are stock or follow a "National" or recognized rule set i.e we use the Scaleracing LMP challenge rules which are great for those that want to "tune" with motors and gears etc.

I'd try and keep it as simple as possible but a lot depends on whether you have motorsport fans racing slotcars or not. Having motorsport fans as slotracers can great way more classes than you really want. We have 4 F1 classes and 2 Nascar, one of each would be more than enough for me.

Comment

When I ran 1/32nd we ran everything box stock, except for a couple classes we ran without magnets. We had a bunch of different classes, but we ran different classes each week, just to keep things fresh.

Part of the reason I had to give it up was because we ran every weekend, and it was simply too hard to sustain. The HO club I race with now runs races once a month, and that works out really well. The racers don't get burned out running every week, plus we usually get done in about three or four hours. For those of us who want to run more often we usually have a weekly test session at one of the members tracks. The test sessions give us a chance to work on cars, have informal races, etc. That way the guys who are really hard core racers can get cars on track every week while the guys who actually have other hobbies/lives only drag their cars out once a month. It works for everybody and keeps interest high.

Comment

I'm a "run-what-you-brung" type person.
            If you need to run more strict classes, run them by motor rpm.
            Any tire, any gear, any body style, no magnets.
            "Maybe" a weight minimum...

These are toys guys, running the body classes as if they are 1:1 cars is silly to me.

I guess this is one reason I've only tried club racing one time. Funny though, a couple of guys quit because more people liked my more simple ideas, than all the rules you can make to fiill a book classes.

Mike

Comment

It would depend on who showed up on a regular basis. On a wood track the general rules would be stock products from Scalextric, Carrera and slot.it. An open class with motors limited to 21,5K rpm. No silicones, all tires to be urethane or rubber. Specific classes to be determined by majority rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Modlerbob View Post
                It would depend on who showed up on a regular basis. On a wood track the general rules would be stock products from Scalextric, Carrera and slot.it. An open class with motors limited to 21,5K rpm. No silicones, all tires to be urethane or rubber. Specific classes to be determined by majority rule.

Like the open class with limit on motor RPM's only

Comment

Originally posted by jeremycobert View Post
                  Our Club appears to be dying and membership is dwindling. The rules sets we use have been poked and prodded for the past 10-15 years and are a bit of a mess and outdated. We discussed it last night after a race at my house. At my house I introduced using a European Round Robin instead of the clubs normal race format and it seems to have worked out. We currently run 9 classes of cars over 5-6 hours and I just think that is way to many classes. The problem is that some people do not want to drop their "favorite" class or just don't want to buy new cars, etc, etc.

So I recommended everyone look at the rules and then have each person come up with their own rules if they were going to start a new club with the interest of getting new people into the club.

I would love to get a more world wide idea on what you guys would do if you were starting a new club. My idea is to get us down to 5 or 6 classes and try to make these all box or very close to it. and maybe a few tire change options.

• Carrera DTM box stock possibly no magnet
                  • Ninco or MRRC/monogram Classics with MT-1 motor swap for balance, no magnet.
                  • Scalextric Trans Am - scalex still makes these, easy to buy and good variety.
                  • Slot.it Classics - box stock, tire options possible no magnets
                  • slot.it modern GT - box stock tire options possibly no magnets
                  • Slot.it Group C - box stock tire options.

these are my ideas, the only cars we don't currently race are the Carerra DTM's but these are real cheap and widely available as well as good runners.

I would like to get some Nascar as they are the most recognizable cars in the USA but the only company making them are Carerra and nobody in the club owns them. I hear great things about the DTM cars, I got one and it drives great. their Nascars however are not that great.

So what would you do if you were making your own new club ? Or whats has worked well for your club ?

Sir, I would run with three of your existing classes, Trans Am but not limit it to Scalextric, Slot it Group C and Carrera DTMs. I would run these classes no mag and except for the DTMs I would run with a max of 21.5K max motors. I would run the DTMs stock with the exception of allowing after market tires. For a fourth class I might run a class that would allow cars in the performance level of the NSR 917s and perhaps the Racer Sideways Group 5s and perhaps allow a little faster motor up to 25K also with no mag. Elimination of the magnets will slow the cars down to the point that they will not self destruct as fast as with mag racing. Also it will eliminate the need for a magnet marshal and make tech that much easier.

In the past 12 months I have run with three groups, the one that makes the most sense to me runs 12 times per year with the same four classes and at times an Iroc class provided by track owner. The second group now has 12 classes and runs three per meet, they run once a month and thus each class is run about 4 times per year. The last group I ran with seems to require a new car or two every month if you run with them.

I believe that six classes at most with only four per race event is about the best solution. This way the racer that does not wish to become a collector does not need that many cars and it cuts expenses down.

Comment

We run DTM (Scaly or Carrera), American Muscle (Mustangs, Cameros) and Chevrons or equivalent. We try to run once a week but as you have found out guys get tired. With my new track, I plan to run a monthly race with 1 or 2 tune-up weeks in between.

We run home made tires, some guys use Yellow Dogs or another basement brand.

Comment

What's important to me is both box stock and tinkering classes. The NASTE group has both as well as running the championship series as an IROC. As a tinker-er, I see and appreciate the benefits of both types of classes- I enjoy tuning my cars as much as driving them. The box stock classes only let you get so far with this.

On the flip side, the box stock classes let anyone be competitive. If they're not, the faster guys will spend time with someone to figure out why. We've all got basically the same box of parts... This is how we run our BRM class, and basically how we run our F1 and Trans Am classes.

I think the most important things are to find the categories of car you're most interested in running and to spec a set of rules everyone can enjoy. Our rules are kept very basic. Our Classics class is spec'd with <18k motors and Ninco 20x7 or equivalent. Those are the only two restrictions. Our GT class is any car with a roof and two doors, any motor & tires. Pretty simple. That's how we like it.

Chris

Comment

Here's my expireance racing in a club with way too many classes. Being a tuner/tnikerer... I enjoy having many classes so I can build and tune many different cars. There are a few of our racers that enjoy racing, but arent into tuning. With so many classes, they dont always have the time spent to tune their cars... Also, as was stated previously, there are way too many cars to buy for a beginner. At last count we have 39 classes!''

If I was to start a new club, I would borrow an idea I learned racing at ACE Hobbies, in Niagara Falls this past summer. Here's how it works... There are major classes such as GT, and from there there is a GT1, GT2 and GTa. All of these subclasses race at the same time. Racers can then choose how competitive they want to be. The sub classes can be either specific manufacturer or set by motor/wheel specifications... I feel this is easier for beginners, as they can buy one car and race that class weekly/bi-weekly. The ones who like to tune/tniker can have a car for each sub class, and rotate them out each week. That gives the latter an opertuinity to purchase the cars they want, and race them too... while the beginner is not forced to buy so many cars.

Comment

Greater Vancouver Slot Car Club

There are several things that make our club successful, in my opinion.
                          We run no-mag on routed wood tracks only. We have six active tracks at the moment.
                          We only run urethane tires with no liquids on the track. Most run Luf's urethanes.
                          Our class structure and rules are very flexible.
                          We run only two classes per night, and don't worry if someone doesn't have a car for that class, they can run whatever.
                          We do bracket racing, where after a few laps of practice, the driver declares his breakout time. If he/she goes faster they get 0 for that heat. Cars are placed on the track, handicapped by their posted time. The finish is usually very close.
                          We run lots of short heats, 5 or 10 laps only per heat.
                          We run crash and burn. If you come out of the slot you lose that heat.
                          We use variable voltage controls per lane, so someone with an NC-1 can dial up their power and compete with an NSR King. Voltage level is up to the driver.
                          We have several sets of IROC cars and at least twice a month we run them.
                          Our most frequently used class is Open, run what you brung. The other classes are determined only for the type of car; Targa, TransAm, Nascar, Detroit Iron, Rally, CanAm, Open Wheel, etc.
                          We keep points for the heats, and award points for each set. We keep totals for two months and then start again. The winner gets bragging rights only. There are no fees or prizes for racing.
                          We also run the hill climb every time we race at Luf's, and also have a constructor's championship for scratch built cars, and a Concours once a month.

Does it work? We have about 30 active members with about a dozen out every Friday and 8-10 out on Mondays. There are always over 30 at Perry's annual Christmas party.

It works for me, after 44 years of no slot racing, the last four years has me hooked for life.

Last edited by retro racer 44; 03-31-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Different Strokes

Here in NCSRA land -- well, we race Scale model racing cars --so we have classes based on prototype classes.

Everyone has favorites -- us 'old' folks love 50's GP and Sportscars --others tend to 70's Prototypes and the younger guys to Group C and Modern LMP -- but we really love them all.

Out 'normal' Series races have always been 'Distance over Time' but we do a series of Invitationals that are 'Double Elimination' bracket races and some people prefer that (I want to beat the guy I'm on the track with!!). We 'seed' the racers in thru 'Qualifying' so that adds another dimension to it.

THe biggest challenge is 'parity' --how you keep the guys on top from making it a miserable time for others. Our rules range from classes that are almost box-stock to highly modified --because some members don't really care about driving --they are builders. We are also doing some IROC events and a modified-IROC Double Elim --where the cars stay in the lane and the drivers move around!

As we try to expand our 'Series' races (we race 7 races in a 'Series" --two different classes at a time -and we run about 3 Series a year --so Six different classes) -I think we might need to lessen the number of classes for the 'Series' races and relegate the rest to Invitationals or short series for those interested in the particular type of car (Silver Arrows Pre-war GP for instance...) but we'll see!

SC

Comment

great input here...

I am enjoying reading the varied perspectives people have on how best to run an ongoing race program...which is certainly a bit more involved that a single event race. Many good ideas shared.

Like many on this thread I believe rules and specs are important to have providing they are simple, well thought out and applied consistently and fairly to all racers.

Some people are modeler and want scale looking cars. And while others may want their cars to look nice, they are more concerned with overall performance (that pretty much describes me). Still others only want to have fun and don't really care about looks, nor optimizing their cars performance.

So...corralling all those people into a weekly, or monthly race program is always challenging and will remain challenging for some more than others. Groups and processes need to be managed and that is where many raceways and race programs fail.

My advice...have PRINTED rules, keep them simple, not too many classes in a night (2-3) and don't make it a full time job, nor too expensive to keep up with the classes. Oh yea...have a bunch of fun...in the end they are just toy cars.

I used to race 2-3 times a week and it burned me out after several years. Now I only race a few times per month and one of those races is a Saturday monthly race. I still spend too much time working on my cars...but that is part of the addiction to slot car racing I have enjoyed for most of my adult life.

Joseph

Comment

sex vidio
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org/lisansli-canli-bahis-siteleri-2022-guvenilir-bahis-siteleri
                              lara escort escort istanbul escort sirinevler escort antalya
                              atasehir escort taksim eskort lara eskort bayan bakirkoy bayan eskort
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              istanbul escort
                              kadikoy escort kartal escort
                              eurocasino
                              brazzers
                              Blonde and brunette dirty 3some in semi obscure Профессор трахнул студенту толстым хером pelicula embarazada por accidente
                              Working...
                              X