Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Track System for a Newbie? Carrera Go or SCX Compact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thatguy01
    replied
    The smallest available Scalextric curve isn't significantly larger radius than 1 43 curves. Scalextric track width is about 156 mm vs about 120mm for 1 43 track. Think of it as a built in apron for 1 43 cars.

Leave a comment:

• HOguy_56
    replied
    I may have to look into the Scalextric Sport a little more, it looked to me like I'd be pretty limited in what I could do on a 4x8. It also looks to be a good bit more expensive for the 1:32 track, but I definitely wouldn't mind the greater diversity in car options that would be available in 1:32. I'm US based, by the way.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Originally posted by thatguy01 View Post
    Why not Scalextric track?
    Scalextric (as in the UK company that is part of Hornby) don't make 1/43rd stuff.

I believe SCX is marketed as Scalextric outside the UK. At least that used to be the case.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Yeah, you can get a pretty good layout on an 8x4 with Scalextric Sport track.
    But, if 1/43 is your thing, I think Carrera has the better variety of pieces, different radii and banks and stuff. I like SCX better as far as track surface and connection, but I'm not sure either have border pieces, so you'd need to come up with your own skirts is you like racing gravity cars rather than magnet cars.

Leave a comment:

• thatguy01
    replied
    Why not Scalextric track?

Leave a comment:

• Which Track System for a Newbie? Carrera Go or SCX Compact?

I've got a bunch of HO stuff that I've had for a while, but I've recently been toying with jumping into 1:43 as well. I'm limited to an 8x4 table so 1:32 isn't an option unfortunately or I would go that route. Which track system would be the better one to get into, Carrera Go or SCX Compact? I've seen plenty of both available on ebay for similar prices so I don't think cost will be a deciding factor. Would one be better than the other with my limited space? Which has a greater variety of track pieces available, or are they pretty similar? Is one track connection system better than the other? Is one brand's powerpack Part of the reason I'd like to get into 1:43 is because I have cats who play and run all over table, and often make the track come apart in the process. I expect it might be harder for the 1:43 track to be pulled apart (I only set up temporary circuits and change layouts frequently so tacking or gluing the track down isn't an option.) This would mainly be for me to just run solo laps for fun and for cat entertainment Might modify a track section to allow a light bridge setup for lap timing. Help a complete 1:43 newbie out!
Working...
X