This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HWP 3D Printed HO Bodies in development

Figured I'd create a new topic for posting random pics of new 3D printed bodies I have in development. Here's a few renders of a concept car that started out as a technique-learning exercise for the Chaparral 2H.

Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Castleton Motorsports View Post
      Very nice!
      Thanks!

Comment

IMG_5823.jpg

Comment

IMG_5823.jpg

Comment

I like the idea of having the front axle carriers molded into the body. Using the regular wheelbase this car looked too stubby, so I drilled new holes in the chassis, but an even longer wheelbase might have looked better.

Comment

I like the new resin Jim. Sufficiently hard enough, so that it's conventionally workable. For blocking and contouring, both the file and sandpaper make progress similar to styrene or ABS. The ductility is just right. Seemingly about half way between the syntered nylon and the acrylate resin. No chipping or shear under duress, impact or torsional.

An unforseen bonus being that the clear nature of the resin acts just like "guide coat" when blocking panels. As one beats and scuffs along, the work piece changes to white; leaving absolutely no doubt as to where one has been.

More to follow as I muddle along on the new pick up trucks!

Comment

Really cool model, Highwing. Do you use a formlabs printer?

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
                  I like the idea of having the front axle carriers molded into the body. Using the regular wheelbase this car looked too stubby, so I drilled new holes in the chassis, but an even longer wheelbase might have looked better.
                  That's the idea behind the SL2 chassis... with a fully adjustable wheelbase, customizers can model nearly any car without having to distort them. But going this next step, I've been making more models without a chassis at all. Allows me to model all sorts of cars not ordinarily possible (or at least proportional). Like these:

Comment

Originally posted by Revtor View Post
                    Really cool model, Highwing. Do you use a formlabs printer?
                    No, they are great machines, but overpriced for my needs. I use my son's Elegoo Mars printer. Less than 1/10th the cost of a FormLabs. And freedom to use a wider variety of resins from numerous manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by model murdering View Post
                      I like the new resin Jim. Sufficiently hard enough, so that it's conventionally workable. For blocking and contouring, both the file and sandpaper make progress similar to styrene or ABS. The ductility is just right. Seemingly about half way between the syntered nylon and the acrylate resin. No chipping or shear under duress, impact or torsional.

An unforseen bonus being that the clear nature of the resin acts just like "guide coat" when blocking panels. As one beats and scuffs along, the work piece changes to white; leaving absolutely no doubt as to where one has been.

More to follow as I muddle along on the new pick up trucks!
                      Good to hear, Bill. I'm still fine tuning the blend of resins. But combining them seems to bring out the best qualities of all. Durability on the track is my main goal. This slow-motion video shows the results.

Comment

Comment

Nice test, I just started looking at this 3D resin. I use a DLP printer. I read you are using a Elegoo Mars printer.....I will look that up. I am using a Duplicator 7. So far I have used it for crown gears, pinions and small parts. I have been tinkering around with my scanner trying to do a few bodies. Not a lot of luck yet, but still trying.
                          Last edited by Eagle Racing; 02-20-2020, 05:18 AM.

Comment

The formlabs has not impressed me at all.. issues from day one with recognizing tanks and build trays, messes no matter what etcetc.. glad to hear there are more diy friendly and cheaper alternatives! Love that you Are mixing resins, keep up the good work the prints look great!!!

Comment

Yep, the Elegoo Mars printer has been great. And less than 1/10th the price of a formLabs. Plus you can use many different resins brands. You're not locked into the printer's own offerings. BUT, resin printing can be messy, and the stuff can make some people sick. I find that some resins are far worse than others. I had one of my gloves fail and got a touch of the stuff on me. Washed it off immediately according to the manufacturer's guidelines, but developed the equivalent of a bad sunburn on my finger that lasted almost a week. You have to be very careful with handling this stuff, especially if you become sensitized to it. Proper ventilation of the workspace, respirator masks with volatile organics filter cartridges. Nitrile gloves and protective eyewear. Aside from that, it's great stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X