Max-Trax Rail Heights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max-Trax Rail Heights

Any one know the Max-Trax rail height?? I believe Tomy is .012 to .015" above track surface, is Max-Trax similar???

My MaxTrax is now 22 years old and the style of the rails have changed. I have one newer section that uses L shaped rails and those are 0.018 inches high.

Comment

We had a Maxtrax with the L section rails in our group and the rail height varied depending on the tightness of the turn. The tighter the turn the taller the rail.

Comment

I have a combination of older and newer sections. The rail heights vary between .012 (older) and .015 (newer).

Comment

Thanks for input, I'm interested to order a Tech block for setting P/U shoe height. It looks like .012+++ will be the size similar to Tomy.
          Any one have further p/u tool suggestions, mostly now racing AW/JL and Dash T-Jets, less on inlines????

Comment

Since the rail heights, even on a single track can vary you need to be careful of how much you limit the shoe travel. If you cut that adjustment too close and the shoes get grooved you might find that you car will stall or loose power in certain spots.
            I know of one fanatic that honed his track rails to get a perfectly uniform rail height, he had a devil of a time getting rid of the filings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyno Dom View Post
              Thanks for input, I'm interested to order a Tech block for setting P/U shoe height. It looks like .012+++ will be the size similar to Tomy.
              Any one have further p/u tool suggestions, mostly now racing AW/JL and Dash T-Jets, less on inlines????
              Hi Dom,

Some of us ... cough cough ... are old enough to remember Aurora's little pseudo screwdriver pick up shoe tool for vibrators.I replicated it by bobbing the end off a pocket screwdriver with a dremel cut off wheel. Then I split the end longitudinally. It provides the sweet fractional touch one needs for shoe voodoo.

Good luck,

Bill

Comment

A neo magnet and some Silly Putty works great at removing the rail honing debris. Just take the debris covered magnet and roll it into the Silly Putty to remove the debris. Also works on your magnet car chassis also.

Comment

I'm the nut that honed the rails on my Banzai Bucktrak. Jim McCartney showed me how to make a spiffy tool to accomplish the task. My honing tool was no where near as fancy as Jim's, but it did the trick. My track has a 48' nominal lap length, so that was roughly 384' of rail honed to 0.015". I used a huge magnet from al old Jensen guitar speaker to get the majority of the filings up. I then took some old LifeLike cars, set my track voltage to about 6 VDC, shorted the controller terminals, and then just let the cars run and run. The amount of filings that they picked up was amazing even after using that big old magnet. It was a long task, but the results were waaaay worth the effort.

Comment

If you use a magnet to pick up the filings that will also magnetize the rails causing some of the filings to remain stuck to the rails. I expect that the speaker magnet was ceramic or maybe Alnico. A big neo magnet would be a lot stronger and might possibly do a better job of removing the filings.

Comment

I believe it was an Alnico V and weighted a ton. The track did get cleaned. Between the honing and the cleaning, MANY hours of labor were invested.

Comment

Jerry
                        Work your fingers to bone What do you get?

Comment

Eric, I get a nice consistent 0.015" rail height. It was a lot of work, but with the end results I have no regrets.

Comment

Oh Im sorry, the correct answer is... What is Boney fingers.
                            Jerry I had a continuous rail Wizz track back in the 90's, laid the rail set in epoxy. Then made a rail hone to cover one lane. Can't tell you a correct amount of hours it took to hone, but well over 40.
                            Got to a point, I could rub the rail and it wouldn't file anything. Thought I was done, come back next day and the hone would dig in to my thought of finished area. Turns out the friction would make the surface expand and the rail would disappear. Finally I could take the hone and would not hit a rail anywhere. You could run any lane with the same axle tire set. Well worth the time and effort.

Comment

Is the Wizz track Sintra or some sort of PVC? Those materials have fairly high coefficients of thermal expansion. My BuckTrax is one of the first ones from Dale Buck. The surface is a painted some sort of pressed wood. It's the type of wood you would not want to get any water on as it would swell up like a dried compressed sponge.

Comment

Working...
                              X