Pin Retainers for Front Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin Retainers for Front Wheels

I recently got a set, and am quite befuddled as to how they work. At the risk of sounding stupid, how do these things work?

Place a slight bend/curve out towards the tip. Not the wheel end. When you push into the axle it has a pressure fit.

Comment

I should asked if the wheels are for the slot tech front end. The way I told you is for that part. If your asking about the milled wheels Viper is selling, pretty sure they just push into the axle, they are made for and fit the AW 4 gear cars.

Comment

Thank you, Eric. I assumed that it was something simple like that, but it seemed too simple I'll have to try it later. They aren't Viper, FTR.

Comment

A front end like this one?

A single bend in the middle of the pin would work, but I would do several bends to get a zig-zag.
          Last edited by RichD; 06-23-2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I'll add ...

What we knew as "Kink Pins" in the land that time forgot. Think of them as the slot car version of the D'zus fastener. A reliable, quick release method of retention. Not just a spindle arrangement either. They've been one of the go-to body mounting methods across all scales for decades.

A resurrected vintage set.

The home brew version. Like Rich mentioned, when room permits, I like an easy bend one way, and then a gentle reverse bend, so that the head and the tail are more or less in line.

Versatile and reliable, Im not sure I can build anything without them.

Last edited by model murdering; 06-23-2020, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks to both Rich D and MM. It looks very close to what Rich D posted. Spring-type clips have always been one of the banes of my existence. I guess I'll have to work with them more often, so I can build up a righteous contempt.
              MM, your modeling skills are astounding! Im working on a very simple set of 50s and early 60s sports racing cars. Just trying to place the decals correctly is a challenge....

Comment

Thanks KRab. I've been working the independent front axle arrangements into my customs for years now. It doesnt have to be just a racer thang.

You got projects ... ? We like pictures!

Comment

All my IFAs are store boughten.....like the 50s and 60s sports cars I'm trying to duplicate. I can't paint or mount a body for beans....but if you really want to see...
                  Theis is an MEV Maserati Typo 61 (Birdcage), Bill Krause, Riverside 1960. Decals by C&R
                  ‚Äč

Comment

You are welcome Sir. Glad the experts came in with the pics.

Comment

I cant see ... is it just me?

Comment

I can't see the pictures either, I checked the URL and got invalid file specified.

Comment

I'll try again: IMG_2771.jpg

Comment

Wow, that looks spiffy!

Comment

Thank you gmcullen. You're very kind.
                              I know it's primitive , but it's the kind of TJet I grew up with. I'm "collecting" racing cars from the 50s and 60s, and trying to re-create them as they would've looked at a particular race. Good pics are hard to come by, and I can't paint or fabricate worth beans, but I can get close.....Next up is a D Jaguar.
                              The end results will all be runners.
                              I'll post more pics on a new thread if anyone is interested .
                              Last edited by KRab; 06-24-2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X