Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super G+ Hubs on a Mega G Chassis

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Super G+ Hubs on a Mega G Chassis

    Today while I was changing tires on some of my Mega G chassis from their original rubber to silicones, I was surprised to find one of my Mega G SWB (1.5) chassis had Super G+ wheel hubs, instead of the normal hubs for slip on tires.
    Has anybody else had this? I have 20 of these (both LWB / SWB) and this is the first time I've seen this. I have left a message for Steve at Racemasters about it, asking if this was just a fluke, or if Tomy is using up surplus parts. Either way, I'm trying a set of "Gel Claws" on these hubs. Just a note: if anybody else is contemplating using these on their track (or at least the Tomy plastic track like I have), thoroughly clean your track first. These tires suck up whatever you don't get, and within a couple of laps will be coated with dust and get slippery, necessitating cleaning.

  • #2
    Here's what I have heard about the Mega G 1.5 SWB chassis: The ones with black rims use the double-flanged wheels just like the Super G+. The gray, white, and gold/bronze rims are non-flanged like the Turbo/SRT. Why it would be based on wheel color I have no idea, but that does seem to be the case.

    Comment


    • #3
      Super G+ Wheels on Mega G Chassis

      Racindad, I went back and closely examined my Mega G SWB chassis, and it does not appear to be due to color, but wheel pattern. All my other Mega G wheels (in black, gray, and bronze colors) that accept slip on tires fall under two distinctive wheel patterns. One is used on the Tomy Ford GT40 Mk.II, either with Mega G or SRT chassis (and looks very similar to the wheel that Ferrari used on their protype endurance racers of the mid-sixties). The other is a newer pattern, and what Tomy has put on the Chaparral 2D / Audi R10 / Peogeot 908 (both black and grey) with the Mega G chassis, either LWB or SWB. The Super G+ wheels I have on this Mega G SWB chassis are indeed black, but match the wheel pattern of my older Super G+ chassis. The particular body on this chassis was one of Tomy's police cars (I swapped the body onto a dummy chassis for my layout, and put on a Tenoras Toyota body in it's place).
      I look forward to Steve at Racemaster's reply, because I'm guessing that they have some plan as to which wheels are used for which car bodies, rather than chassis types. But it does not appear that color is the determining factor.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have never seen double flange wheels on a Tomy Super G+ car, all of mine came with rear wheels that had a center rib like most 1/32nd wheels have. The Tomy Turbo and SRT cars have wheels with a single flange on the inside, like most HO cars, including the single Mega G car that I have.

        Comment


        • #5
          RichD, I think Racindad misspoke when he said "double flange" wheels on the Super G+. It has a raised center section (my description, anyway) to support what Tomy called a "pneumatic" (hollow center) tire. That wheel only supports that tire, and is a flaw in an otherwise fine chassis design.
          In order to upgrade to a better silicone tire, one had to swap out the hubs for a single or double flange hub, until the "Gel Claws" came out. I have tried both solutions on my Tomy track, and each seems to work reasonably.
          Last edited by Speedhoppy; 07-12-2013, 07:37 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I've heard of fellow racers receiving new SWB Mega G's with SG+ wheels and tires. One reason I haven't bought any yet. Didn't look for a pattern to which cars had what, or which wheel colors were most likely to be SG+ rather than Turbo/SRT style though.

            We assumed it was just a matter of using up old stock but it would be interesting to know if Steve even knew about this. Maybe it was a decision made at the manufacturing end, in China?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Speedhoppy View Post
              Racindad, I went back and closely examined my Mega G SWB chassis, and it does not appear to be due to color, but wheel pattern. All my other Mega G wheels (in black, gray, and bronze colors) that accept slip on tires fall under two distinctive wheel patterns. One is used on the Tomy Ford GT40 Mk.II, either with Mega G or SRT chassis (and looks very similar to the wheel that Ferrari used on their protype endurance racers of the mid-sixties). The other is a newer pattern, and what Tomy has put on the Chaparral 2D / Audi R10 / Peogeot 908 (both black and grey) with the Mega G chassis, either LWB or SWB. The Super G+ wheels I have on this Mega G SWB chassis are indeed black, but match the wheel pattern of my older Super G+ chassis. The particular body on this chassis was one of Tomy's police cars (I swapped the body onto a dummy chassis for my layout, and put on a Tenoras Toyota body in it's place).
              I look forward to Steve at Racemaster's reply, because I'm guessing that they have some plan as to which wheels are used for which car bodies, rather than chassis types. But it does not appear that color is the determining factor.
              Yeah, I misspoke all over the place. By "double-flanged," I of course meant the SG+ wheels that only take the hollow tires. And by "black rims" I meant SOME of the black rims. So really what I should have said was, if your rims are black they MAY be SG+ wheels that need the hollow tires. If the rims aren't black, they'll take non-hollow tires.

              Comment


              • #8
                Super G+ Rims on Mega G SWB Chassis

                I got a response from Steve at Racemasters today. It appears from his comments that Super G+ rims were NOT supposed to be used for the Mega G chassis; it is either a misunderstanding at the factory, using up old inventory, or they just slipped through. He asked what car they appeared on (mine was a Black / white "Highway Patrol" car). He did indicate that Tomy uses certain wheel style / color combos were for certain body styles.
                Last edited by Speedhoppy; 02-07-2011, 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling error

                Comment


                • #9
                  Now I'm confused. Is this what is considered a double flange hub?



                  If so, every SG+ car I own came with this type of wheel and my local HS supplies me these as the stock spares. Perhaps it's a location difference? All of my gear was bought locally in Australia and most of it brand new.

                  Cheers,
                  Michael

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jisp View Post
                    Now I'm confused. Is this what is considered a double flange hub?

                    If so, every SG+ car I own came with this type of wheel and my local HS supplies me these as the stock spares. Perhaps it's a location difference? All of my gear was bought locally in Australia and most of it brand new.

                    Cheers,
                    Michael
                    Yes they are the proper hubs for SG+ but apparently not for Mega G

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      and not to be confused with many aftermarket rims that have small flanges on the inner and outer edges to keep slip on tyres from becoming slip offs

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Those are stock Sg+ wheels - and have mistakenly appeared on some Mega G's..

                        Double flanged wheels are cylindrical with a small lip on the inside and outside edges to retain solid tyres.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Speedhoppy View Post
                          RichD, I think Racindad misspoke when he said "double flange" wheels on the Super G+. It has a raised center section (my description, anyway) to support what Tomy called a "pneumatic" (hollow center) tire. That wheel only supports that tire, and is a flaw in an otherwise fine chassis design.
                          I'm not sure I'd agree that it's a flaw. If you're interested in keeping the rubber tires, they're great. They look good, and they won't fly off. True them up and they're not too bad. Still nowhere close to silicones, but way better than stock out of the box.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            bemoore, maybe my description was a little harsh, but the problem (at least with the ones I have) is that these "pnuematic" tires on the Super G+ eventually dry out and get hard, therefore slippery. My comment was more to the flaw in marketing. If a manufacturer makes a product unique to themselves (this wheel / tire combo, for example), and the aftermarket doesn't make enhancements (such as good silicone replacements that fit), you are stuck with either the original tire, or swapping out the wheels and maybe the axle combination (which I have done). As I said in an earlier comment, I'm trying these "Jel Claws" that are made to fit these hubs, and to this point, they seem to be an acceptable enhancement, provided the track is kept clean. I don't know yet how long they will last before they either dry out or just lose their grippiness.
                            Last edited by Speedhoppy; 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jisp View Post
                              Now I'm confused. Is this what is considered a double flange hub?



                              If so, every SG+ car I own came with this type of wheel and my local HS supplies me these as the stock spares. Perhaps it's a location difference? All of my gear was bought locally in Australia and most of it brand new.

                              Cheers,
                              Michael

                              I guess I'm confused over the nomenclature too. I'd call the extrusions on those hubs flanges, and since there are two of them that would make them double-flanged hubs. Perhaps that just isn't the proper usage of the terminology.

                              Every SG+ car I have also has that type of hub, and I am in the US. But for some reason, it appears that the SWB Mega G Sheriff car has SG+ hubs instead of the solid-tire type hubs on most (all?) other Mega G chassis.

                              Comment

                              antalya escort
                              antalya escort
                              sex vidio
                              antalya escort
                              lara escort escort istanbul escort sirinevler escort antalya
                              pendik escort
                              beylikduzu eskort bayan taksim eskort lara eskort bayan bakirkoy bayan eskort
                              gaziantep escort
                              Working...
                              X