Lap Counting: Dead Strips, Light Bridges, Other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichD View Post
    Maddman, when you get your system up and running reliably why not do a write up that includes schematics and a parts list with suppliers for those parts.
    As Jim indicated the design and build process is fully documented on my Siberia Racing website. See the post above for the link. The track was railed in the fall just before we came down here. Likewise the control station for voltage control was finalized and the power tap design was finalized. I took the Phidget card with me for the winter and have been playing with digital sensors. I have since selected a sensor package. The sensors overvoltage test has about a month left. After that its time to return to the great white north and start cutting wood for the table. Magic Raceway will not be a standard VSR track at all. I have improved on their power taps and table split track joints. Had a done a bit more preliminary work the track would not have dogbones as my changes have made them redundant.
    Last edited by Maddman; 02-13-2020, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I have that site bookmarked. I was wondering why Trackmate couldn't be used with a three lane track.

Comment

Maddman - you need to update your website.
        ".... as unlike Trackmate, or some other race management systems, Slottrak can be configured for a three lane track."

Trackmate can be used on a 3 lane track. I have been selling Trackmate for 2, 3, 4 and 6 lane setups for over a decade.
        You just choose you number of lanes from 1 to 8 in the installation settings.

Earlier in this thread HoRacePro was commending RichD's extensive and long term use of Trackmate, and yet RichD also doesn't even
        know a simple thing about Trackmate of setting up a 3 lane track.

My head hurts.

Over summer break, we had a casual race night at my track, and we were a bit short of marshals with so many away on holiday, so I just configured the software as a 3 laner for the night and we just didn't use lane 4. At least three the home garage tracks in our club are 3 laners running Trackmate - and one 3 laner running RC on an Arduino Mega system I built for the guy.
        Last edited by SlotsNZ; 02-13-2020, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Page has been revised to delete the Trakmate discussion.
          Last edited by Maddman; 02-14-2020, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I do know how to set up Trackmate for a three lane track, over the years four Shoreline Model Raceways tracks had three lanes and they all used Trackmate. My question was directed at an earlier post which seems to have been edited to eliminate the comment about three lane tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Revtor View Post
              I use a pair of interrupted lasers as a single lane dragstrip timer in my classroom, and I’m sick of having to align them precision, so I am re-designing it to use IR pairs. If it all goes well I will lay out a four lane version and if anyone wanted to give it a trial run I would be more than happy to share files, pcb’s etc..

this is in between all the busywork the new board office has given us this year and a three-year-old and a newborn at home so don’t wait on this. .... haha
              Might want to look at http://siberiaracing.altervista.org/...ech_Bridge.htm. The page is something I whipped up a few years ago. The key is to match the operating frequency of the emitter and detector. The much acclaimed Radio Shack pair actually aren't. Their emitter and reflector do not use the same wavelength. Best is to buy LEDs and phototransistors that operate at a wavelength of 850 nanometers.

Just updated the Magic Raceway page to update the track wiring diagram, add a sketch showing how to install a reversed biased diode across a relay coil and update the text. The Magic Raceway page can be found at http://siberiaracing.altervista.org/...ic_Raceway.htm
              Last edited by Maddman; 02-18-2020, 08:30 AM.

Comment

I recently purchased a DS light Bridge and Lap Counter for my home track,works really good,i was just looking for something simple that would count laps and i connect it to a screen monitor in the future.I t is simple and works better than i thought it,and i could do it myself. Cheers

Comment

Why not try a smartphone app? This one is Android based: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...W5pdG8uc2N4Il0. There are also iPhone based apps.
                  With a computer you can use a webcam based program. http://www.zonetrigger.com/webcam/we...e-download.php

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
                    Why not try a smartphone app? This one is Android based: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...W5pdG8uc2N4Il0. There are also iPhone based apps.
                    With a computer you can use a webcam based program. http://www.zonetrigger.com/webcam/we...e-download.php
                    Have you used them?
                    How did they perform?
                    Are they a viable alternative to the previously mentioned PC based systems?

Comment

I tried a webcam program with Slottrak some years ago. It was quite fussy and not a rousing success. I am sure that the technology has improved but . . . . I wouldn't go there.

SlotsNZ has a valid point. Don't recommend something you haven't tried and feel confident in.

Comment

I did not recommend those as an alternative to things like Trackmate, especially in a club racing setting. Many people obviously do not want to spend the money on Trackmate plus a computer or to build a DIY system that they may never get to work properly. Some people are just looking for a simple counter or timer, if an app is inexpensive why not try it. Many apps have a free trial period so there would be less of a risk.

Comment

Steve, I’ve scoured your pages a ton, lots of good info. I especially like the real world measurements of voltage drop as you move away from the power supply and towards the actual rails. That is enlightening.

I have matched IR pairs and pcbs ready to go, just need to get a table built!!!

A sleek, modern simple solution for something like this might be a PC-based tablet which are relatively cheap these days, running a simple lap timing and counting software. It looks like viper scale racing does this on their tracks although I haven’t asked them. This might be the modern day TrikTrax. No intricate functions, but just the basics.

Comment

I am fairly sure that VSR is using Trakmate.

Comment

Working...
                            X