The Mysteries of the Sidebar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mysteries of the Sidebar

Every post on SCI gets what I am calling the "sidebar" -- a box on the left that identifies the person posting, along with a designation such as "Novice Racer" or "World Champion", as well as the date they joined SCI and their total number of posts to SCI.

Also in the sidebar is a graphic consisting of 10 colored bars. They can be all grayed out, or some or all can be colored orange.

I've recently achieved the designation "Championship Contender", apparently because I have recently exceeded a total of 1,000 posts. It appears one is a "Novice Racer" until one exceeds 100 posts. And it looks like once you have over 10,000 posts you become a "World Champion". I'm curious as to what the full list of designations is, and how many posts are needed to achieve each 'bump' in status.

I am even more curious about the colored bars. I have not been able to make any sense of them. I personally have been awarded all 10 bars in orange. But far longer-term SCI members (including a moderator!) have no orange bars at all.

I've taken some time to scan SCI for some official page explaining all this, with no success. I'd hoped it would be in the FAQ file. No luck.

I can't say these particular mysteries are ruining my life, but I would appreciate some enlightenment.

Ed Bianchi

As I said before the bars are to do with your reputation, I think from back when SCI had a like button.

The designations you can probably work out from the members list I told you about before.

Comment

This is a quick test of something ...

Comment

Ed, I believe it was in a previous update (about a year or so back) that the 'reputation' thing got added. If you take a look at your own User CP, you'll see that you can apparently 'Display Reputation', or not. You'll also see that currently your 'reputation level' is 884. Meanwhile, NicoRosberg's is 50, and mine is 123 (but switched to 'Not Displayed''). I have no idea what that means (as SCI's most prolific poster, you'd think I could get a better rating)!

I think that those 10 bars you earned are the result of a number of 'likes' from other members for posts and/or threads you've contributed. As NR points out, there isn't any 'Like' button (or Flag button either) currently visible to regular members although for some reason, as a Moderator these are visible to me beside the "Quote" button. This is something that the Admins here will eventually have to sort out.

Every post on SCI gets what I am calling the "sidebar" -- a box on the left that identifies the person posting, along with a designation such as "Novice Racer" or "World Champion", as well as the date they joined SCI and their total number of posts to SCI.
        Actually, you're leaping to a conclusion there based on what you've noticed personally. But here's a weird thing; if I use Chrome as my browser, none of that info is visible to me, only individual's SCI Member name and their Avatar. Whereas, if I'm using Firefox, all of that sidebar stuff is there. I haven't discovered anything I can modify to show me more using Chrome here, which is my usual browser (if anyone has figured out how to activate the sidebar, please mention it here).

If I can discover anything further about this stuff, I'll be sure to post about it.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
          But here's a weird thing; if I use Chrome as my browser, none of that info is visible to me, only individual's SCI Member name and their Avatar. Whereas, if I'm using Firefox, all of that sidebar stuff is there. I haven't discovered anything I can modify to show me more using Chrome here, which is my usual browser (if anyone has figured out how to activate the sidebar, please mention it here).
          Oops, now it's me leaping to conclusions. If I log in as WCR the Mod using Firefox, I still don't have a sidebar.

Whereas .................
          Last edited by Wet Coast Racer; 03-26-2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

...................... if I log in as my civilian persona, using Chrome, I do get a sidebar.

None of which is going to help anybody except some dumb mod who hadn't experimented enough to figure this out, previously.

Meanwhile, in this civilian persona, I'm noticing that there aren't any Smilies available, so I wonder if that's the case for everybody currently except mods, just like the Flag and Like buttons. Please at this point imagine a 'scratching his head in confusion' emoticon.

Comment

Wet Coast Racer,

I'm using Firefox 74.0 64-bit on a MacBook Pro laptop, running MacOS Catalina 10.15.3.

I see sidebars in both your moderator duds and your civies. Both include an avatar pic, quote icon, designation, bar rating, join date, post count, facebook share and tweet buttons. Your moderator sidebar has two rectangular buttons, one says "Moderator" and the other says "Super Mod." Your civilian sidebar has only one rectangular button marked "SCI X-tra". None of those rectangular buttons do anything when clicked.

I also have an "SCI X-tra" button. It too has no function when clicked.

I do not have a quote icon. I see no "flag" or "like" buttons. But I also notice a small, round, button in the lower left corner of all of the sidebars in this thread. On this post, now as I write, it is green. On all other posts except Deane's it is gray. None of those buttons, gray or green, do nothing when clicked.

How I achieved a "reputation level" of 884 is one of the mysteries here. I did not pay anyone off or marry the boss's daughter. Could it be an honest reflection of my sterling character and mature wisdom?

Nah.

C'mon! It can't be that!

Ed Bianchi

PS - I suppose it is high time I added an avatar pic of my own. Lemmee think about that.

Last edited by HO RacePro; 03-27-2020, 12:03 AM.

Comment

That button on my previous post is still green.
                Fast Eddie B

Comment

The button in the lower left indicates whether you are online or offline.

Comment

Working...
                  X