We need a 3D forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need a 3D forum

I've looked and can't find an obvious home for what is probably the fastest growing section of our hobby, 3D printing.

Other forums have special sections and there's loads of us out there who would love to share with the Slot car world what we do, where we find it and how to go about it.

Makes sense to me. I'm amazed by some folks creativity with slot cars from 3D printing.

Comment

I'm in favor of a 3D forum.

My only concern is that it sort of overlaps with 'Scratch Building'. How do we manage that? Create a '3D Printing and Scratch Building' forum? Or roll in 'Vintage' with that? Messy.

Ed Bianchi

Comment

I think that it could be done as a subforum, or forum split of (Vintage &) Scratchbuilding. Sort of like the way that HO Routed Tracks and HO Pancake Forum evolved from the original HO Forum.

Comment

There's 3D printing for all scales, so it should at least be above any scale delineation

Comment

Yes, that's why I think it fits as a subforum of scratchbuilding.

The 'Vintage' part of the title is irrelevant in a way, as enthusiasts build their own race cars from various eras; although many favour previous eras.

But I've never thought of scratch building as being specific to any particular scale.

Comment

We have started a 3D Printing area on Auslot recently. It is quite active, and brings a whole new area of interest, from different people to the usual posters.
              I suggest you get it going asap, and as a top level menu section, separate to scratch-building.
              It can cover not only cars and chassis, but scenery aspects, barriers and fencing, - pretty much every aspect of the hobby.
              It also caters to technical questions about printers, problems, reviews and techniques.
              It can - and should in the future point to sources of CAD files.
              We have done it as a single menu at the moment, but I still think in time we will split ours into about 4 or 5 areas.
              It will attract a whole new group, that would never look or think to go into scratch-building.

I suggest you don't bury it inside scratch-building.

Comment

3D printing has sub sections of scales, not the other way round. I suggested the idea to get some traffic coming back here, don't hide it, this is a big part of our hobby now and it's getting bigger

Comment

It needs to be at the top level with scale subsections, at the level in the screen grab. Screenshot_2020-05-17-11-22-11-033_com.android.chrome.png

Comment

Right, it is a big deal and should not be a subsection of anything.

Comment

I agree and there will be a 3D printing section on SCI.

It will be it's own stand alone section of SCI.

Working on some details now and will announce soon.

Alan Smith
                      SCI Owner.
                      www.scaleracing.com
                      www.slotcarillustrated.com
                      www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                      www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Comment

Great to hear Alan

Comment

Comment

First I hope to put out another fire hereon SCI.

Please if you want changes here or to discuss rules etc I can be reached 7 days a week +1-253-255-1807 or scaleracing1@gmail.com

Trying to keep my Store alive right now so not a lot of time for SCI but I did not get it back up (With a lot of help from RUSS) only for it to implode due to misunderstandings.

Enough please give me time. Thoughts write my email please.

SlotsNZ maybe we could chat.
                              Alan Smith
                              SCI Owner.
                              www.scaleracing.com
                              www.slotcarillustrated.com
                              www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                              www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Working...
                              X