No announcement yet.

Steve McQueen Le Mans Tribute Track.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished the grandstands. I added stairs so spectators can get up & down, barriers in the front of them and flags and other graphics. The final things I need to do is to weather them just a tiny bit, and fill the stands with spectators. This picture was taken from the top floor of the ESSO press tower. Questions?

Comment

Did a little more work on the layout. I still need to add some signs and figures to this area. The second photo shows a temporary cardboard backdrop I'm testing out, to see how basically looks visually. This section of the layout will be a part of the "forest" section of Le Mans. Since I don't have room for a forest, a few trees with a "forest" background will have to suffice. I want to have at least one section that has the bottoms of the trees painted white, like they used to do on the circuit. Questions?

Comment

Scratch built scaffolding for the TV crew. I used Evergreen Styrene (1/16th" rod for main assembly, .020 x .040 for bracing + sheet stock for the "platform), liquid styrene cement, a NWSL Chopper & a jig made out of matt board. I still need to paint them. Any questions?

Comment

Before you say anything, yes, I know that the terminal tracks can be mounted upside down and wired under the layout so you don't see them. I've done this before, but quite frankly, I like everything easily accessible for troubleshooting & maintenance. In any case, here's how I hid my terminal track/controller base.

I just built a flag stand out of styrene to cover it. It just sits in place, so I can pop it off any time I need to. Any questions?

Comment

Beautiful work. You have a great eye for detail.....and a lot of patience! Well done so far!

Rob

Comment

I finished the scaffolds. Now just to add figures and place them on the layout.

Comment

The line has already started to form at the porta potty, so I'll have to add a few more. I made a master out of styrene, made a rubber mold, and then cast them in hydrocal plaster. PS. Will change the signs to something more prototypical before I glue these in place.

Comment

I'll be filling this section with some terrain & trees. I'm starting by getting a rough shape using 1" blue foam insulation. Next I'll carve/sculpt it a bit, add some texture using sculptamold, then grass/trees etc. This entire section of scenery is being built on a sheet of cardboard that I cut to fit exactly in the space. That way I can do all of the messy stuff (carving the foam, adding the sculptamold, gluing on the grass etc) off the layout, and then just glue the whole section in place when it's finished.

Notice that at about the halfway point on the "blue foam island" that you can see a seam. That's where the layout divides in half (3rds, actually) for transport, in the case it should ever be moved. Hopefully I can scenic the place where the 2 sections join so that no one will be able to tell without looking close. Planning ahead like this makes it much more likely that a layout can be saved in the case of a move (or sale).

Comment

I like this method
                    Randy

Comment

• WOW , The track and scenery detail are amazing ...........

Comment

• Can you help explain how the Border Jig works for Curves from Page 1?

" You don't have to saw all of the way through it, just score it w/a utility knife & snap clean. I used the outside edge of the track as a template to cut one side of the borders, and made a simple cutting jig out of scrap styrene & a laser blade to cut the outside edges."

Outside edge makes sense as you follow the contour of the outside edge of the track. How do you then cut the inside border edge cleanly?

Thanks
                        Here you can post track pictures, layout plans, or track problems for all scales. This is also where you can discuss track systems, show your layout set up, show off your scenery, or ask track and scenery related questions.

Comment

• I sculpted the blue foam a bit, covered it with sculptamold (for texture), and then painted it brown and black. Next I covered the sections with white glue & sprinkled on ground foam. By doing these sections off the layout, it keeps the mess off. When dry, simply shake off the excess on a sheet of newspaper so you can recycle it.

I still need to add trees/shrubs and spectators, but here's what they look like dropped in place.

Comment

• A little more progress. I added some bushes & trees to the landscaped section. These sections are not glued in place yet, so I can remove them for further detailing. I still need to add more trees & some clusters of spectators.  I am trying to place the trees so that tehy do not create view blocks. Any questions?

​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                            X