Super Giant Raceway track issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Giant Raceway track issues

Got my Super Giant Raceway up from the ashes and put all together. But each piece was cleaned, examined, and checked for continuity with my volt and ohm meter. all just fine. Cleaned the rails till all shiny....Plugged all the track together but one lane works but the other lane only goes so far then stops at one piece of track. Removed, cleaned again, even filed the connectors a bit re installed but still no power to the car once it hits this piece. Took it out and replaced it with another piece the same size. Worked just fine. Plugged in the malfunctioning piece where I took it out to replace the first one...works just fine. Now I tested all leads and always get continuity on both ends.... So I decided it was a matter of the joints not connected all the way. Got track clips to solve the problem. But don't understand how I can have good track rails but they don't work. Hope the clips work. Your thoughts?

I presume you are talking about some brand of plastic track - always helpful to know the subject matter

I have never heard of a section of plastic track which is faulty within itself/own length, so testing individual pieces with an ohmmeter is probably a waste of time.
    The issue has to be the connectivity between that and other sections.
    Something is different in the shape, size, angle of the protrusion on one side of the rails.

I suggest you compare it at both ends (unless you know which end is not connecting, with other pieces of track. The physical difference should be visible.
    As the protrusions go inside other pieces of track, look carefully at the hollow recesses on that and adjacent sections of track
    If you have a couple more spare pieces, connect it in the middle of those, testing end to end continuity, while wiggling the joints.

They are just a bit of plastic with some metal running through it end to end, shouldn't be hard to diagnose if you work through these steps systematically.

My suspicion would be on looseness of the "plug-in" combined with a bit of internal corrosion on the inside where the tag connects.

One thing folk sometimes to is use a little aluminium foil where the sections connect, just to bridge any small gap, or tighten a joint.

I prefer the brutal way, - bending the tag protrusion a bit out of shape with a pair of pliers to make it a tight fit into the next section

Comment

Filing not good for electrical connections. Try using a pencil eraser instead to polish the connections. Might be too late for the piece you filed, SlotsNZ's aluminum may be the way to go for that piece.

Comment

I believe that NDJeff was referring to a Tomy AFX HO track, those usually make good connections. With sectional tracks each joint is a potential source of trouble, and problems are more likely to happen when a track has been in storage for a while. Power should be going to each section from both directions, if the cars will not run on one section there has to be at least two bad connections. In your case it sounds like you have a single section where the contacts are corroded or possibly have been damaged. You could fix the joints or just replace the section.
        The best way to troubleshoot a track is to use a volt meter. First disconnect the last section before the one where the power comes in. Strap down the triggers of the controllers and put a car with its rear axle removed on the bad lane in that last section. If the motor runs you must have some sort of connections in all of the joints for that lane. The reason for using the car is that open circuit voltage measurements will only help you to locate joints that are completely open, they will not indicate partial connections. If the motor will not run you will have to back up around the track until it does. Starting at the power strip take voltage readings across the rails for each track section. Even a small drop in the voltage is significant because the track has a lot of joints. Usually you would find a larger voltage drop and that would have to be dealt with as you go along. Do not use a coarse abrasive to polish the connections. A pencil eraser or a Dremel with a wire brush will work for the contacts that you can reach. You can fold some 1500 grit sandpaper to polish the hard to reach places.

Comment

Good ideas...thanks. Yes it AFX HO track. Bought some AFX track clips, but ****...how do you put them on? 1st they are really small and 2nd I'm pressing as hard as I can and they just won't clip on. Is there a tool or something? Googled for clip instructions.... the picture on the back of the packaging was no help at all. nothing from google search.... i'm sure i'm not the first to have this issue. Thanks.

Comment

i don't even use them, except for in a couple difficult places like in the donut, which is usually pretty much punched. they did protrude too much and like you say, will definitely pop out if allowed to. i don't even try to get 'em back in anymore. sometimes do i wish that i'd just clamped 'em in and JB-Welded them, but that would preclude any future maintenance.
            when it really mattered, such as by the feed sections, i did glue about six (2 wide x 3 long) together to make an anchor and the wires kind of tether it. here's why:
            i have temp variations in my not-so-always-heated-or-cooled loft, so i can't fix down my high speed, 4 lane 5x16' Tomy AFX sectional track. so i just let it pretty much float on a thin luan cookie-cutter underlay, with the occasional outside border or wires to keep it in place. once you get your track joints nicely conducting and some feed sections in (maybe ten feet apart), i bet that you'll be fine.
            an old friend of mine helped me put it together and in return i built some feeds and wired his track. (around here, i'm the guy for that.) every once in a while it does loosen up in a couple places, but it goes right back together.
            for me, it was harder to get the doggone joints between the sections smooth so they don't catch the cars than anything else! it still hates T-Jets.
            i do have one huge magnet car which Will pull the track apart, but there's the fun in it. if the cars won't cross the gap any more, we stop and push it back together. -but by the time we got to that point (running the crazy stuff), we've usually run so many cars that we've had enough anyway.
            sorry about that.

Comment

Mod, what went wrong with the above?
              speedy

Comment

Probably you edited after posting, which currently changes your post to 'Unapproved'. I would fix this for you, only there's something not quite right with SCI yet as only an Admin or Webmaster like Alan or Russell can do this. But, I'll Flag the post and it will eventually reappear like magic.

Comment

Originally posted by NDJeff View Post
                  Good ideas...thanks. Yes it AFX HO track. Bought some AFX track clips, but ****...how do you put them on? 1st they are really small and 2nd I'm pressing as hard as I can and they just won't clip on. Is there a tool or something? Googled for clip instructions.... the picture on the back of the packaging was no help at all. nothing from google search.... i'm sure i'm not the first to have this issue. Thanks.
                  Search the Interweb for "Racemasters" which is AFX. Go to products, accessories, track clips. Click through the photos, there is a good one showing the positioning of the clips. You just---stick them on there. When removing, a small, thin flathead screwdriver is very helpful. Hope this helps!

Comment

thanks Paul! looks ok now.
                    that's odd- i'm always editing my new posts to fix grammatical errors when i re-reread it, but this one turned all green background and wouldn't let me do it, as though i'd said something that i shouldn't have.
                    (how's your bayside camera? thanks for all your good work.)
                    speed
                    edit- it let me edit this one.
                    Last edited by Speedynh; 05-24-2020, 01:46 PM. Reason: add something

Comment

Working...
                    X